Summer House Quilt Top Completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summer House Quilt Top Completed

I have to agree with everyone else - I love the added white blocks. You have given me quite an idea here so I'll have to go off and work on it. There was something in there about the jelly roll quilts that didn't just grab me. Yours does. Thanks for sharing.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Thank you everyone! Wow what a response, I'm so happy

The quilt ended up being 68x86. I wasnt going for any specific size, but by adding the squares to the jelly roll, it was (approx) 51x56, just about square when I was done, and I knew I didn't want that. I just decided on the borders and charm pack last minute, just to add length, no pattern.

Here is the jelly roll patten if anyone needs it

http://blog.heirloomcreations.net/?tag=jelly-roll-races

The rest, just measure and wing it! )
      -Ela :icon_bigsmile:

"If you think you can, you will. If you think you can't, you won't. Either way you're right" -Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
        I have to agree with everyone else - I love the added white blocks. You have given me quite an idea here so I'll have to go off and work on it. There was something in there about the jelly roll quilts that didn't just grab me. Yours does. Thanks for sharing.
        Sandy, I can't wait to see what this inspired in you. I am honored!

"If you think you can, you will. If you think you can't, you won't. Either way you're right" -Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Elalew View Post
          Sandy, I can't wait to see what this inspired in you. I am honored!
          You may need to wait a bit - but I'm thinking of using a longer strip of the white or cream fabric, and doing reverse diagonals instead of the straight seam - in other words, lean the diagonal to the left on one end, and the right on the other. I'd probably use a strip about 15 inches long instead of the 2 1/2 inch square. The original jelly roll quilts seem to be out of balance to me - sometimes having too many dark fabrics or designs at one side.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Hi Ela,
            How creative you are! I've seen so many jelly roll race quilts online and your's is, by far the prettiest and most creative. I think those white squares are such a huge bonus.... along with the charm squares top and bottom. But best of all... you created it with your son.... and that's awesome!!! Thanks for sharing
            ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
            Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
            (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
              You may need to wait a bit - but I'm thinking of using a longer strip of the white or cream fabric, and doing reverse diagonals instead of the straight seam - in other words, lean the diagonal to the left on one end, and the right on the other. I'd probably use a strip about 15 inches long instead of the 2 1/2 inch square. The original jelly roll quilts seem to be out of balance to me - sometimes having too many dark fabrics or designs at one side.
              I agree. I tried to do one of my other's in a perfect sequence of strips ( I had 4 of each) and it made no difference. On this one I just put all the strips in a bag and sewed them together as they came out. You can have 2 people with the same jelly roll and it will always be different. Sometimes I like the element of surprise and sometimes a bit of ocd kicks in and I feel its too "all over the place".

When MSQC had the moda beige solids on deal of the day, I purchased that and will be making it with black blocks after each strip. We'll see how that comes out. Bordered in black and then a beige/black floral print.

Comment

LOVE it!! Such a great job! And I LOVE that fabric! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!

Comment

Turned out great!! I gotta try this.....
                  Alana
                  To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
                  alanashideaway.blogspot.com
                  https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

I LOVE LUV LOVE IT....
                    EVERY THING ABOUT IT....
                    GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!!!
                    bopeep
                    sigpic

Comment

well done. I like it!
                      hugs and Happy quilting :icon_hug:

Carmen ;) from Germany, Rentweinsdorf

Check out my blog: www.bambine007.blog.de

Comment

I love this, I saw a similar one on another forum where they did something similar, they used black and white patterned strips, then used three diffent size red squares/rectangles between strips, then if I remember right even appliqued a red flower on a couple of corners. I was thinking lime green and pink squares with the black and white patterned strips

Comment

Super pretty! I used this fabric on a quilt, too. Love it!

Comment

Thanks again for all the compliments. I'm working on my mom's now. I'm sending both out in Sept to be quilted, so trying to get it all done. But I made a few changes to what I was doing. We'll see how it turns out and I'll post soon.

Today is my son's birthday party, so it's other crafts for me today. Have a great day!!

Comment

I love this. It's so much easier to add the square between strips than to miter each strip, plus it adds some length.

Comment

Love this quilt, did you sew as in the jellyroll race pattern

Comment

Working...
                                X