4 Patch Posey Stack n Whack Project in Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Patch Posey Stack n Whack Project in Progress

Hi Ladies! I haven't posted in awhile but have been busy working on some new fun projects. I joined a local quilt guild last month and we had a Stack n Whack workshop last Saturday so now I am becoming addicted! This is such a fun concept, finding a fabric pattern with just the right design, colors and repeats and then waiting to find out what block designs you can make after you cut your squares.

Anyway, I have been working all weekend playing with my blocks. I cut enough squares to make a couple different projects so thought I would start out with a smaller wall hanging and then later make a larger quilt size. I like to test new techniques on a small scale first before applying them to a bigger project. My problem is my mind keeps changing directions and I keep adding a little more "here and there" until what was supposed to be a small test project turns into a major production! LOL.

I started with a fabric I would not have normally used but thought it had good potential for creating lots of different block patterns. Now that I have been working with it and found some coordinating fabrics for sashing and borders, I am falling in love with it!

I decided to pick one block and frame it with my coordinating fabrics to make a small square wall hanging to test the process before tackling the larger quilt. After adding a few borders to the block I decided I wanted to give Trapunto a try so added some thick poly batting to the center block, gold/black border and purple border. The green border and floral outer border I am leaving with just the normal batting. I'm going for a bit of a 3 dimensional look and hoping that once I do the quilting it will accent the center block and the purple border will stand out a little like a frame. The wall hanging will be 25" x 25" when completed. I already started putting blocks up on my design wall for the larger quilt and will follow similar assembly pattern as the wall hanging, but may decide to add corner stones. I will no doubt change my mind multiple times before it is done!

SO....I was up all night piecing and sewing and just this morning used my design wall to spray baste my backing, batting and top together! I am ready to tackle the quilting this evening after I make my final decision on the quilt pattern, stencils etc I will be using. Wish me luck! The free motion quilting using stencils on the trapunto center will be a first for me...

I have just posted pics in my new Stack n Whack album. I'm a photobug and take tons of pics of what I do, partly because I like a visual record but mainly because I forget so quickly how I did something that I need to come back and look for a reminder!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sewbee; July 31, 2011, 02:50 PM.
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Re: 4 Patch Posey Stack n Whack Project in Progress

I've seen that fabric before and thought it was very pretty. Your quilt is going to be awesome when you get it finished.
    K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Sewbee. my sister has been making the One Block Wonder quilts - a similar premise as this only made with 6 to 8 triangles. What an amazing way to change the original appearance of a fabric. I tried one like she's doing and had a great deal of difficulty getting the center points to lie flat - but there has been a recent thread here about center points that helped me understand a better way to do it. What a great quilt you will have here! Thanks for sharing.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Your blocks are absolutely gorgeous!! They remind me of Moroccan tiles...simply beautiful. This must be a real fun technique. Thanks for sharing....Barb
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

that is so cool! love that fabric and what a wonderful way to show it off!
          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Hey Sewbee, welcome back! Love that kaleidascope effect. Is that what the stack n wack part is? Going to have to talk my quild into doing a workshop.
            ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Very pretty!! Love the fabrics.
              Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. and i did mean it in capitals !
                Pam

visit my blog for cards and quilting pictures
                http://www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow, what a beautiful result! I agree with Pam...these are stunning!
                  Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
                  Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Sewbee, this is absolutely amazing. I have looked at it again and again.

Mary B.

Comment

That is really beautiful, love the fabrics you chose. It does look like a framed picture. Love it.
                      Mary
                      A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

Linda, your stack n whack blocks are all amazing. Love what you've done with them.
                        I hope to attempt that process in the fall.

Comment

Gorgeous and such different combinations. Interesting!

Comment

Ooh - how beautiful! I love that pattern. I have made a few table runners and a huge quilt with the technique. I have at least 2 more larger quilts planned yet to do someday.

Hugs,
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

very pretty! I love your fabris choice.
                              β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                              X