BOW Stack n Whack 2010 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOW Stack n Whack 2010 project

MY FABRIC AND A STAR LAID OUT IN THE PATTERN I WILL SEW .. 20 BLOXKS NO BACKGROUND FABRIC YET.
    If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Re: BOW Stack n Whack 2010 project

go with a solid black background fabric. very cool quilt vador, show us how to apply it. how much fabric did you use.
    all the best
    Gina

Comment

looks great!! I don't understand how you get everything to line up when you cut it....but it has a wonderful effect when you do it right...and you've done it right!!

TFS!!
      Michele

Comment

That is going to be stunning. I love the japanese theme to the print. One of these days I'd love to try a stack anf wack but I'm still too nervous. Do you get much wastage when you match the fabric?
        Quilting through the dull times
        northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow!

That is really beautiful!

Vicki L

Comment

I love the questions and will try to answer them .. This kind of a pattern looks 10 times harder than it is.. the key to a stack n whack is to start out with Patience.. follow the instructions step by step,, dont run on ahead as that leads to mistakes. I bought 6 yards for this, the repeats are at 23" and I needed 8 repeats .. I allowed room to square up at the starting end, and as I cut my stacks. A start point for the repeat is determined - somewhere close to the end.. and your repeats may be closer or further apart than mine. Double check now to be sure you have the right number of repeats for the pattern you have chosen, I use Bethany Reynolds book Stach n Whack .. and this pattern is The LeMoyne Star. Determine the center fold, make a nip, and tear the full length of the fabric, set aside the one half, you will use if for borders, etc. NOW this is important, read the instructions again... maybe again .. and follow them step by step, my book is marked for the size quilt I am making, the size of strips I am to make, the exact way to cut the ones for my pattern.. all circled. you ARE having fun! Once the layers are pinned accurately, if you have raggedys, clean them up.. after cutting that first few stacks, even up again, as hard as I try to get it right, and as many pins as I use, I still have to even up. I pin to death on this part.. are you following the instructions in your book?
            You have it made! This is not one of those rush projects.. the one I am doing requires laying the diamond shape stacks a certain way to sew on the back ground piece, and then the stack has to be turned another way to get the 2nd piece sewn on.
            I know I have written a lot - but only because I want you to see how easy it is - I am sitting here writing from memory - so you know it must be pretty easy
            My second quilt and first stack n whack one was a directional fabric - oh great, make it hard Sandra, and I measured and marked til I was sick of pinning - attached is a picture of the top . Please .. do try it.

Comment

Oh my this is completely wicked... I want to try this method sometime in my life time... Wendi
              there was a guy close by that did these classes and everytime he filled up the classes and had a crazy waiting list...

Comment

Block 3 is done!! Oh my. I actually did some trimming as I went on this one.. after layering 8 pieces of fabric the widths of the diamonds were not exact .. I got out my rulers (aaaahh I love my rulers, have near 30 I suppose)
                and could see there was a bit here and a bit there that could be skimmed off.. you know.. the kind that makes sawdust! .. my seams were better. before sewing the 2 halves togther I got out the big setting triangle and made sure the long edges were straight - and skimmed a bit there also..
                I pretty well sprayed the parts with Fresh Press and pressed them good - that helped with those bias edges.. come on - give it a try!!!! I think I could help you!
                I added that 2nd picture so you can see the way the patterns swirl around the center on this one .. I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed!!!

Comment

I'm in awe!! I bow down to you!!

When I grow up, I want to be a quilter just like you!!
                  ~Mary
                  As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Be assured MrsWindy - you will probably be just like me... making mistakes that are so stupid you could cry I just made a 4th bloc k- all carefully pressed, trimmed, skimmed - with all 8 parts going the same direction - 4 need to be made opposite of the first 4. Well it WAS at the part where it's sewn into the bloxks and into halves and then together. I put it aside. I am going out to lunch with a friend. I will take 4 of them apart when I get home .. that means picking those 2 winglike parts off each of 4, and perhaps re-use the background parts. Or I will make more. And try not to do it wrong again.
                    About bowing - Do not bang your nose while down there - it will bleed. And you will have your butt stuck up in the air - not usually a pretty picture!
                    And do try SnW - I know this is probably not the time to say it's not as hard as it looks - but that's the truth!
                    I will be teaching a group the 4 layer posie in a couple of weeks .. now THAT is beyond easy to do!

PS.. just for the record, I did have my book open - I got distracted.

Comment

Originally posted by mrswindy4
                      I'm in awe!! I bow down to you!!

When I grow up, I want to be a quilter just like you!!
                      I totally agree. Wow!!! What a beautiful job you have done. I think I need a step by step tutorial with pictures to figure that one out.

Again, they are beautiful!
                      Niki (Niurka)

Comment

YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY - BUT THANK YOU. I had group yesterday so no chance to mess up another one - didn 't dare change machines now, too! I have a smaller Brother I carry along.. I love it - does everything I need - but think I'll wll stay with my KENNY I use at home for these blocks. While they are NOT difficult, they do require some precision and some 'focus'.
                        Tell me when you're ready - we can do it t ogether .. serious! There is an easier one too - it only requires 4 repeats of fabric.. and is a very good start er project - nice fabric is spendy and to mess up a yard or 2 is a great loss.
                        I rummaged in my stash last night and pulled out 3 pieces I am going to use to demo for my Friendship Group the afternoon of the 26th. I chose 2 that are kind of old and, maybe dowdy would be a good description ! , and 1 really bright Island/Tropical sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Quilt Vader
                          Be assured MrsWindy - you will probably be just like me... making mistakes that are so stupid you could cry
                          Trust me, I'm making some of the "rookiest" mistakes...still!! Just the other day, I was doing the tube technique and I kept sewing the fabrics all wrong! I didnt put the right sides together when sewing the tubes, and didnt realize it until I had cut up 3 complete tubes. ops: So, when I opened up the triangles, half of the square were inside out....ughhhh!! 15 squares ruined! :cry:

I am doing my own version of the rail fence pattern (using 3 strips instead of 4) using some of my freebie material...so far, so good on the mistakes. I'm not good at color combinations (I need an art class, I think lol) so I'm not sure how its going to look when its all finished. I chose these fabrics, because I was so afraid of making even more mistakes, and it seems much easier for me to "practice" on material I neither paid for, or mind if I mess it up beyond all recognition...lol
                          ~Mary
                          As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Naaaaa.. they aren't ruined. while watching TV unsew the seams, use some Fresh Press and flatten the pieces, press don't iron (dont slide it around, makes everything askew) and re-purpose them.. dewn in a row they can be a border on a t-towel, they can be sewn 3x5, framed with sashing and used as a focus block with with your rail fences .. or you could just toss them and forget they ever existed! :roll:

Comment

Vader, I'm a fan :-).

Anything new with this project? Dying to know what you pick for a background fabric.

Deb
                              There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Working...
                              X