Block on Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block on Block

I am not sure where I seen this but remember I only caught a glims of it when I did. You start with a smaller block and a much larger block. In this case I used an 8" and a 12" block. First you mark the center of the edges of the small block then you put the larger block on the smaller one and match the corners.Then pin it meeting the larger block in the center and folding the excess being careful to fold them in the same direction(clockwise or counterclockwise whichever you choose just go the same way)
    You will have a pile of fabric from the big block in the center of the 8" block.You just work with it til it lays down and a square will appear in the center of the block.Then press it flat.You can stitch this down or not. Whichever you choose. You can change it up a bit by marking the 8" block off center (say 2" from the edge all the way around) this will make the square larger in the middle or you can meet the big block in the center and press the excess it is centered and not off to one side. This gives it a totally different look. Anyway I know this is as clear as muddy water to yall but I have a hard time explaining stuff. That is why I have posted step by step pictures. I suppose you could layer a piece of batting between the blocks and do a quilt as you go block out of it. Haven't tried that yet but I am pretty sure it would work. I used the scissors to show how it is open and not sewn down. Let me know if you try it. Hugs
    Rhonda

Of course they didn't load up in the right order but I am sure you can figure it out.
    Attached Files

Re: Block on Block

I've never seen a block like that before. i'd like to see what you end up doing with this
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
      I've never seen a block like that before. i'd like to see what you end up doing with this
      Oh, me too...
      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

How interesting. Show us more, please !

Comment

I did some searches trying to come up with the complete instructions and so far have come up empty handed. I'm waiting for Rhonda, too. You know, the only time I've seen something similar to this was to make those pincushions that are twisted. My old feeble mind refuses to come up with the correct word for what they call them. They are torqued. Does that make sense? What does this finished block/quilt look like . . . inquiring minds want to know.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

My wife did a couple block like this for her 4-H demo a couple years back - it's a form of fabric manipulation. You can fill the center 'Puff' with batting to make a Puff quilt also. I will ask her when she get's up where we found it, but she did that and then a pleated sequence by sewing down one way then bending back the other and sewing that down. Check out fabric manipulations embellishments on google. Robert.

Comment

My DD and I have made Biscuit (Puffy) Baby Quilts using this method. The larger block however, is only 1" larger than the smaller one. You pinch in the sides similar to this and stitch 3 sides, stuff with batting, then sew the 4th side. Stitch blocks together than put a backing on and finish up like a regular quilt. Comes out really cute.
              Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
              X