Handstitched Patchwork - my first "show and tell"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handstitched Patchwork - my first "show and tell"

I'm new to the Forum and new to quilting! I thought I'd like to show my current project or at least where I've got so far.

I hope the picture tells the story! But here is some background - my mum started this patchwork about 30 years ago and then moved on to different crafts. I decided that it should be finished, so I've added more hexagons (there are about 1500) and to finish the top I've added a complete line of navy hexagons, then a contrast 2" strip followed by a 3" strip of navy. The plan now is to quilt it but that comes with its own problem as the top measures 70" by 102" and I don't have a large enough table!

This will be my first quilt although hand stitched I plan to machine quilt it!

Attached Files
    my blog: http://craft-e-place.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Handstitched Patchwork - my first "show and tell"

Sorry picture looks enormous! Haven't master adding photographs - not a desire to be loud!
    my blog: http://craft-e-place.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Elaine this is fantastic! What a treasure with lots of memories. Your comment about not having a large enough table--is this concerning basting it together? Check into you local library or community center to see if there's a spot you could use by putting a few tables together. Or, you could use your floor. That's what I always do. Sometimes we have to move furniture out of the way when working with a large quilt, but it does the trick. Where there's a will, there's a way! Good luck and post when finished!
      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Wow, that's just beautiful!!! Fantastic job! How awesome that you're finishing a quilt your mother started - sure to be a family heirloom. Thanks for sharing.
        There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Originally posted by quilter.martha View Post
          Elaine this is fantastic! What a treasure with lots of memories. Your comment about not having a large enough table--is this concerning basting it together? Check into you local library or community center to see if there's a spot you could use by putting a few tables together. Or, you could use your floor. That's what I always do. Sometimes we have to move furniture out of the way when working with a large quilt, but it does the trick. "Where there's a will, there's a way!" Good luck and post when finished!
          To add to the quote "and where there is a woman there is always the will and the way!" Thats a nice quilt to finish up, since your mom started it...I know I treasure every quilt my mom made since she passed away!
          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Elaine....This is a wonderful first quilt! The colors are so alive and I see a lot of joy in your first piece. I would be thrilled if my first quilt was a fraction as nice as yours. Looking forward to seeing your next project....Barb
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

wow you did an amazing job!
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

That's an amazing quilt!

I have a quilt that was started for me by my great grandmother and finihed by my Granny and it is VERY VERY special to me.

Comment

WOW....that's really all that needs to be said....
                  :icon_happy:Wicked

My husband lets me buy all the fabric I can hide :icon_wave:

Comment

That is an amazing quilt and the history that goes with it (including what you have done) has really touched my heart. You can just feel the love in everyone of those hexies. Great job, Elaine. (very colorful, too!)
                    Cynthia

Comment

so very cool.. thats awsome that you r finishing it. im sure u will love every second spent under that beautiful quilt. great job.

Comment

Wow! What alot of work. Absolutely lovely!
                        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Absolutely beautiful!!!

Comment

Your first project? My hat is off to you. In time, you will have a family heirloom to enjoy & pass down to your loved ones too.

Comment

What a beautiful job! The navy hexagons really add to the quilt. This is indeed a fantastic memory you have. Love it!
                              Susan

Comment

Working...
                              X