Salvedge Quilt done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salvedge Quilt done

Finished my "salvedge" quilt .. I salvaged all the colored fabric from the leftovers in the vendor sample books, the part up under that carboard with the hanger. Most of the WOW I already had on hand - the backing from stash, the binding however is a different story .. I had the self binding back side all trimmed, pinned and ready to go whenI found the colored stuff I put on instead.. I HAD to have it, it was on sale, and a yard was an easy decision,, it is not cut on the bias, it's printed that way!
    Oh, this is for a DGD coming 13 this month.
    If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Re: Salvedge Quilt done

i think it is grand. i sew.... ha ha want to start another project... alas... i must refrain.... moving soon..but i must admit this one is gorgeous. Gina from mpls...soon to be from Grand Rapids MN
    all the best
    Gina

Comment

I sure hope this is a happy kind of move! Dont take too long though getting back on the board..best wishes with
      y ur move - and if yourhands are needy - like for something creative to do - remember Redwork is easy and require a bare minimum of supplies at hand - and can be taken every whre you go!
      Happy moving - take care.

Comment

oh thanks for the well wishes for my move.. yes... it has been just an amazing year... my husband's death at 42. my 6 year old outrageous behavior... loosing the house. an insurance company [email protected]#$%^&*(....( suck air in steadily)
        i am so looking forward to this move.... time to start over.... begin a new... huh red work... hummm i could try that.
        well i need to go for now... thank quiltvador..
        Gina from Mpls.
        all the best
        Gina

Comment

very pretty! How long did it take? I have all the blocks done for 2 quilts, just have to do the sashing and borders and then my top will be done. I can't wait to post something in show and tell finally.

Comment

Gorgeous! I absolutely love that multi-coloured spotty fabric. Your DGD is going to love it.
            Quilting through the dull times
            northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

great job! I think it turned out fabulously.....
              Michele

Comment

I was asked how long that quilt took to make. I really don't know. The time consuming part was aquaring the 4 patch bloxks down to 4 1/2 inches after sewn. I had cut the whites to 2 1/2 square, so as I made 2 patches, I tried to get as many good edges as possible .. the colored pieces are/were NOT all the same size, but I saw it as double the work to cut them twice before making my 4 patches! Using my 6x12 inch ruler was best for doing the trimming - I tried the square up ruler, but my hands were always in my way! I have another one almost ready - it's bigger, a 4 patch posie thing - for the sister and brother-in-law of the gal getting this one. (they are 8 1/2 years apart)
                And I still need to think of something for the 17 year old brother of the 7 year old I have here ..DOES ANYONE REMEMBER PEYTON PLACE??? hAHAHAH A Sometimes I feel like I LIVE there!

Comment

Beautiful job, QuiltVader.
                  There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Really pretty Quiltvader! Are the selvedges on the turned under triangles? What alot of work, you did great! And I agree I love the binding!
                    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment ... I didnt use 'selvedge' as in the edges of the fabric, I used fabric I salvaged from the tops of the sample cards carried to the LQS by the vendor! The faric is shown a line at a time with all the colorways in size descending pieces of fabric. Or ascending if you start from the bottom longest and go forward
                      to the shortest !
                      A friend gave me several of the samples and I cut the fabric pieces away from the tops - if you look at places like JoAnns where they have drapery fabric hanging for you to browse through, the fabrics are gathered under a cardboard sleeve along the top, and there is a plastic hanger on the top to hang on a rod. The fabric in the quilt is the stuff from under that carboard sleeve - I tore off the carboard, used an old blade and cut the fabric pendicular to the sleeve edge along the rivets holding the top together .. whew .. I then cut those chunks, that were approx 3 inches long and 3-4 inches wide, into pieces exactly 2.5 on one edge and sewed them to the white squares I had precut.. which were mostly from stash. I squared up as I went along The flying geese are di mensional in that I used squares of the colored stuff folded diagonally .. Taaa Daaa. all that to say 'no, there aren't any sElvedges'.
                      This was a hoot to type out .. I hope someone at least gets a chuckle out of it!!!

Comment

Beautiful! I love it and wish I had more skills to try something like that. Great job!

Comment

Skills? There isn't much skill required to put some squares together. It's not anything you can't do - and probably with your eyes closed !

Comment

Wow - that's really pretty Quilt Vader! Love the variety of colors and also love that binding. It really ties it all together. Sometimes I think the binding - even though not much shows - is an important part of the quilt.

Good luck on your move Gina and a new start. It sounds like an awful year for you, I'll pray for a better one in 2010 for you and your son.

Hugs,
                            quilting trish
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

QT .. thank you .. it was fun to do, though getting those colored parts was tedious it was worth it
                              About the binding - I seldom choose binding before finishing a quilt.. and while many prefer the binding be only dark or same values as darkest color used, I like the look of an edge, a finish - something that gathers the parts together and says There it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X