Border Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border Help?

I'm kind of stuck on what sort of border to put on this quilt top. Here is the photo where I'm testing block placement and before I sew everything together I just want to make sure I have the right border in mind:

I have jelly roll strips leftover from this design and my original idea was to do a small 1" inner border of a light fabric to kind of "frame it" and then to do 2" half square triangle units around the entire area with cornerstones. I'd then have a large 6-8" outer border around the whole thing of a multi-color floral print of the same fabric line.

Thoughts?
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Re: Border Help?

I love this!! Very pretty colors!

If it was me....and I am no expert by any means!...I would do a 1" border in a lighter color and a larger border of a darker color. I dont think I'd do the HST border, I think it would be to busy and would detract from the original design.

But...since there are no quilt police...you do whatever it is YOU like!!
    ~Mary
    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Originally posted by mrswindy4 View Post
      I love this!! Very pretty colors!

If it was me....and I am no expert by any means!...I would do a 1" border in a lighter color and a larger border of a darker color. I dont think I'd do the HST border, I think it would be to busy and would detract from the original design.

But...since there are no quilt police...you do whatever it is YOU like!!
      I didn't even think of it distracting from the design - good point.

Now I just need to find a good tutorial on mitered borders so I can do them for the first time.
      Pinterest

Comment

What I do sometimes is lay out a strip of the color I'm thinking of, down the side and across the top, step back and take a look. Then try another color. This helps me get an idea of what will pop. In my mind I see a darker border for the frame, but if I laid out the lighter color sometimes I think - wow that works.
        Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Katherine Vickery Ringo View Post
          I didn't even think of it distracting from the design - good point.

Now I just need to find a good tutorial on mitered borders so I can do them for the first time.
          HERE is a most excellent tut with plenty of pictures!

Hugs from me
          Fabric purchases require no justification!
          A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmari View Post
            HERE is a most excellent tut with plenty of pictures!

Hugs from me
            That's for binding which thankfully I've got down pretty good. Looking for one for borders now.
            Pinterest

Comment

Just my two cents worth, but I agree with MsWindy. The quilt is gorgeous and I wouldn't want to detract from it by making the border very busy. BUT..... as pretty as you've made the quilt.....I'm sure you will choose the perfect border too. Well done and thanks for sharing. I always love to see what others are doing.
              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
              Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
              (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I love the fabric you used. I think I would like a narrow dark border since the body of the quilt background is light. Then I would like a large scale fabric like the floral you mentioned. I'm sure whatever you do it will be wonderful!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0G85zkc214

Try this one...no talking, but very understandable just the same. Be sure to read the info at the bottom.
                  ~Mary
                  As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I love your quilt! I agree with the small DARK border picking up the dark from the quilt, and I'd go with the golden orangey color for a wider border.

Love it!!
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

A beautiful quilt, Katherine. Stunning really. I think all these posters are on the right track. (what do I know though....I always have the same dilemma!) Isn't it great to be able to get other quilters opinions? This Forum is such a great way to do that and each one of you quilters is such a blessing!

Can't wait to see it all done!
                      Cynthia

Comment

Here is another YouTube instructional video for making mitered corners on your borders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUh7MbELkXs&NR=1
                        Linda
                        -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Love your quilt blocks. and I have to agree with Mrswindy on her suggestions for borders. Can't wait to see what you do.
                          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Love the quilt. Your colors are perfect and like everyone else, I would't add anything too busy. Your focal point needs to be the quilt and not the border. If you have a design wall you can try laying different fabric next to your quilt. That helps with your fabric selection. However, I also agree that a darker border would be perfect. Can't wait to see it finished!
                            Susan

Comment

I'll have to see if I can find a dark print in the Origins line for an inner border. I really appreciate all the input! It is so nice to bounce ideas off of other quilters. I'm glad to hear a pair of simple borders will fit well.

I'll be checking out the links to mitered borders so thanks very much for linking them!
                              Pinterest

Comment

Working...
                              X