New Antique Treadle Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Antique Treadle Machine

So I finally got the quilt I made for my co-worker's wife to her over the weekend (the Baby Honu quilt) and got my antique machine as "payment". I'm so excited over it. I had to do some research to figure out the model number. It's a Singer 66-1, made in 1911! It has some cleanup work needed and we need to replace the leather belt and buy a replacement bobbin cover, but I couldn't be happier.
    Attached Files
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Re: New Antique Treadle Machine

REALLY SWEET! I can only dream!!!
    JVO

Comment

OOO! Nice. Looks just like and old machine I've had for a very long time and never even thought to try using it. I believe we have all the parts and pieces, but I believe the leather belt needs replacing on mine too. Aren't those old machines just gorgeous!?!
      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

OOooooooooH, OOooooooooooH, OOoooooooooooH!

Absolutely love it. Maybe I should try that - I'll make a quilt for an antique sewing machine payment. I absolutely LOVE IT!!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Lucky you. One is on my wish list and a featherweight as well.

Monique
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I learned on a treadle machine. I love them. They have new ones too. I'd love to have either.
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

That's beautiful. Have fun with it.
              Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

I love it, looks like my grandma's old machine that I learned on!! Have fun with it!!!

Comment

How totally cool!
                  There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Wow... how beautiful the machine is... what a treasure!
                    You know you've had too much coffee when you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

The Adventures of the Empress of the Universe... or how I learned to quilt on the internet!

Comment

What a beautiful machine! That's great payment for a job well done. I am jealous.
                      Susan

Comment

Hi martha,

That machine looks still very nice. I have one too, but don't know the model number. Could you please tell me the site you used, where you found out what model your machine is? Would be happy to know the model number of mine as well as the year.
                        thanks in advance
                        sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Originally posted by mamaquilt View Post

That machine looks still very nice. I have one too, but don't know the model number. Could you please tell me the site you used, where you found out what model your machine is? Would be happy to know the model number of mine as well as the year.
                          thanks in advance
                          It was kind of a convoluted process as I wasn't sure where to start. You start with the serial number to determine approximately when it was made. The number should be at the bottom right on the base plate. I went to http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page19.html to determine the date. This web site also had photos/drawings of a bunch of models that we used to start narrowing down the possibilities. I then looked around at a bunch of other web sites and eventually found this one: http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm. It led me through a process of questions that once again narrowed it down. Once that site gave me an answer, I googled that model number and then looked at "images". That confirmed my answer. It was a fun process; the answers are there, you just have to be persistent with googling for answers. Good luck to you!
                          When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I would love to have one of these machines! A friend of mine told me they sold one at an auction for $20.00 last week. She didn't know anything about them and didn't bid on it. I sure would have loved to have it. I looked at it online before the auction and $20.00 would have been a steel. Lucky you!!

Comment

Originally posted by quilter.martha View Post
                              It was kind of a convoluted process as I wasn't sure where to start. You start with the serial number to determine approximately when it was made. The number should be at the bottom right on the base plate. I went to http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page19.html to determine the date. This web site also had photos/drawings of a bunch of models that we used to start narrowing down the possibilities. I then looked around at a bunch of other web sites and eventually found this one: http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm. It led me through a process of questions that once again narrowed it down. Once that site gave me an answer, I googled that model number and then looked at "images". That confirmed my answer. It was a fun process; the answers are there, you just have to be persistent with googling for answers. Good luck to you!
                              Thanks a lot Martha for sharing the information. When I'll have a moment I'll try the adresses out and see what I have. Michèle
                              sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Working...
                              X