Inferno quilt pieced (not quilted yet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inferno quilt pieced (not quilted yet)

This is the Inferno pattern which is a free download from connectingthreads.com. They have sold out of this popular fabric line twice so I am made this pattern out of red, black, and yellow/orange batiks. So there, take that, popular fabric line that keeps selling out before I can buy it.

My DH already has dibs on this when I get it quilted.
    infernoC.JPG
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Re: Inferno quilt pieced (not quilted yet)

It has turned out great. My DS would love it. Another one added to me list of to dos.
    ​Robyn

Comment

That is just beautiful!
      Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Those fabrics that kept running out may have done you a favor. I can't imagine that they would have been as pretty at these.

Comment

This is awesome. I love it and it sure fits its title.
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Are you going to use a flame design for quilting it?
            Love the way it came out.
            Great quilt!

Comment

Love your quilt. How about some flames for the backing? I can see why DH likes it. It turned out awesome!
              Super Retro Flames Fabric | J&O Fabric Store

Comment

Red! I love it!
                Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobW View Post
                  Those fabrics that kept running out may have done you a favor. I can't imagine that they would have been as pretty at these.
                  Thanks BobW.I used 7 different red and black batik fabrics for the center blocks, so I personally do think its an improvement over the sold out fabric line which only had one black and red fabric for the center blocks.
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by RoseMA View Post
                    Are you going to use a flame design for quilting it?
                    Love the way it came out.
                    Great quilt!
                    Yes I have challenged myself to quilt this with a flame design, even though I am still struggling to even draw the flame design on paper. Actually it is probably going to be a combination of squared spirals and flames done on diagonal rows, offset by rotating square propeller blades. Here is a really crude sketch shown over a 3x3 block configuration that shows my concept. I need to get the spacing more consistent between the flames and the square spiral. Inferno002.jpg

If anyone has any pointers on how to FMQ flames I sure would appreciate some tips. My points tend to round out, even on paper. I peice in the warm months, and quilt in the cool months, so I have plenty of time to practice on the flame motif. I would especially love to hear from anyone who struggled with the flame motif. How did you finally break through this design?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
                      Love your quilt. How about some flames for the backing? I can see why DH likes it. It turned out awesome!
                      Super Retro Flames Fabric | J&O Fabric Store
                      That is an awesome flame fabric. This is a "snuggle" quilt that is going to be used a lot, so I will be also putting batik fabric on the back. That way everything will shrink and wear evenly.

Comment

Originally posted by BobW View Post
                        Bob, you always make the nicest comments. And you took the words right out of my mouth. It's beautiful!

Comment

A good way to practice flames is on a sandwich made with a scrap of zebra print fabric. If you kinda follow the stripes, it looks like flames, and helps you to develop the muscle memory for those shapes. I noticed it when I was quilting a mug rug and a small wristlet for a little girl who loved all things zebra.

Comment

Wow! That's a toasty looking quilt. It's true! Red is definitely a warm color. Nice job and very striking!
                            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I've found the trick to get sharp points when quilting is to hesitate (or stop) for just a second when you get to the place where the point should be. The wavy part of the flames is very forgiving, it's just the pointy parts that are tricky. Stopping for just a sec before changing directions seems to work for me.
                              It's a lovely quilt & I like your color choices better than what CT was selling.
                              Last edited by Quiltfreestyle; April 21, 2014, 11:06 PM.
                              May the road rise up to meet you...
                              May the wind be always at your back...
                              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X