Blooming Nine Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blooming Nine Patch

Beautiful use of color, lovely,lovely quilt. Amazing!

Comment

Love this! I saw this pattern in my local quilt shop when a fellow quilter brought one in that she had made for a friend. It was in blue, teal, and brown batiks. They work so well, and she matched the colors so that you really couldn't see a distinct change. It was gorgeous. The pattern can be found in a book called "Tradition with a Twist". I ordered the book as soon as I saw the quilt. That's the one I'm going to make for my eldest son for his bedroom. Maybe we can request Jenny do a tutorial on it???

Comment

Wow, that is stunning!
        sigpic

Comment

The pattern is from a book "Traditions with a Twist" by Blanche Young and her daughter Darlene. It is an older book, but still in print. I got mine on Amazon.

The trick to the quilt is to pick the correct colors in a progression so it will "bloom." Some use flower prints, I am making mine in batiks. A quilt shop may be helpful in assisting one to make their choices. Each round needs to have the color before it in it as well as a color from the round after it. Please buy more fabric than the book gives...I bought extra of each color and was very thankful I did.

The book makes the strips for the nine patches at 1 3/4 inch and the solid blocks at 4 1/4 inches. There are two different sizes of triangles.

The making of the nine patches is not difficult, just time consuming. Lots of cutting in this project. Be sure to stay organized, I put each "round" in a separate plastic Baggie. The layout is a little challenging to get your head around since it is on point. I was told it is easier to build from the right lower corner and the upper left corner. I am in the middle of laying it out and am taking my time.

I hope this is helpful to those who wish to make this beauty. Been on my list for a long time...don't think I would have tackled it without help as I am not an advanced quilter. Good luck!
          Last edited by Lightwriter; May 7th, 2016, 09:22 PM.
          Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

Beautiful work! Thanks for the tips, Connie.
            sigpicCarolyn

Comment

This is beautiful!
              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wow, a work of art. Beautiful!

Comment

Wow... Good Job!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Beautiful transition from color to color that makes your quilt bloom. I made one years ago when I first began quilting and thought it's only 2 simple blocks, a 9 patch and a square. That's true but the key to this quilt is in the fabrics you choose and mine blended just so so. I laid my blocks out on the living room floor and it took a lot of work to assemble. Congrats on a job well done.

Comment

Wow, that is amazing.
                      Joshua Parker

Comment

This pattern is on my bucket list. A lady at our LQS brought one in she had made for her son in browns and teals about 2 years ago. I fell in love!! Tried to talk her out of hers......No go. So, I bought the pattern and am still dying to make it for my oldest son. His bed is king, so it will be a project!! Yours turned out beautiful!

Comment

Working...
                        X