well here it is...mostly done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well here it is...mostly done

Jean you mentioned that having just white sashing might make it look off kilter...I think maybe you were right. It seems to have "snowballed" the plain blocks. I have some ideas for how I want to quilt it...mostly straight line stitching as i'm not so good at FMQ. Where there is a lot of white I plan to do double quilt lines in the sashing...maybe a meander in the middle of them but not sure. Anyway...I could sure use some help on ideas for a border?

How big should it be? And should it be dark, light and plain or print? Something from the quilt top itself or something entirely different?

Also...suggestions for how to do a label would be appreciated. It will be for my sister as a wedding gift. I can hand embroider...sort of...or I can learn...but is it possible to hire someone to do a nice one for me? Sadly my other sister thinks she's going to hate it. sigh

photo-4.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg

Re: well here it is...mostly done

I like it a lot!

It looks great and it has a calming feel to it!

I think for border maybee a 2,5" black to frame it or maybee a grey.

Be proud of your work!!

Hugs
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

I really like the " snowballed"effect. It looks modern.
      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
      Hillary Clinton

Comment

It does have a lot of white, but I think it is very pretty! Definitely do a dark border, maybe a med. grey narrow, then one of the blues for a bigger outer border.

Can't understand why the other sister says the intended recipient won't like it, it is lovely.

Comment

Well I don't know why your other sister would think that. I think it's beautiful.
          Sharon

Comment

Very pretty! I think maybe no border but dark binding??

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
              It does have a lot of white, but I think it is very pretty! Definitely do a dark border, maybe a med. grey narrow, then one of the blues for a bigger outer border.

Can't understand why the other sister says the intended recipient won't like it, it is lovely.
              thanks Jean. Krista says Andrea likes more "rustic" and this is too "modern". These are the kinds of quilts she likes and more her decorating style:

rustic3.jpg rustic1.jpg rustic2.jpg

I might be able to manage the middle one? The one with the cabins is way over my talents and the other looks easy, just panels, but I've not seen panels like this. AND I hate all of them! LOL! Well maybe not the one that looks like a JRR...but they're so NOT my style at all and as a new quilter I think it's important that I at least sort of like what I'm creating or it's just going to murder my creativity! LOL! I have enough to make a couple of throw pillows so I'm going to do two cathedral window pillows and she can put them in her spare room if she doesn't like them or give the lot to her mother or whatever.

Comment

I think she will love it because you took the time to make something special for her. Your other sister is just wishing she had one! I would put a border on it. The suggestions you have are good. I like to take mine to the fabric store and lay them out and audition the fabric for the border. Good job!

Comment

If she doesn't like it you can give it to me when I come visit you. JUST KIDDING!!!

It is beautiful Wendy and I would not listen to the other sister. I agree with Jean on the border. And again, it is gorgeous.
                  Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

It is a lovely quilt and I think she will like it, I have styles I like but that doesn't mean when I get a gift not in my style I don't like it. It just expands my horizons. Trish

Comment

Wendy, I love your quilt! I would probably border it in one of the darek blue to set off the whites.
                      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Wendy, I just sent you a pm
                        Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
                        Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Comment

I really like it. Really, as in I'd like it as a gift!

Comment

It turned out very pretty, I really like those fabrics

Comment

Well you guys are all awesome! Sure made me feel better about it! Thanks for all your lovely compliments! xoxo

I was thinking a dark border also. I am heading to the new quilt shop I found to pick border fabric tomorrow and get batting also batting. Will definitely take it with me to audition. Then will get fabrics for the back. I would love to do something different on the back but I think I will just pick a nice light blue maybe with a tiny floral print on it or something?

Also...would you quilt using white thread since there is so much white? If I'm going to quilt on the blue, should I change to blue thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X