Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This past weekend at the Quilt Show...

jesus1.jpglonestar1.jpgsushi1.jpg

The banner is for my church. The center block is by Sandra Kintz from her Sentries of Light collection. This one is the lighthouse at Winchester Bay where the Umpqua River ends. Our church is North Umpqua Bible Fellowship. The block is originally 9.75" x 9.5". Staples enlarged it to 36ish inches square. It is paper pieced. The words are in a font from my computer then enlarged 600%. The words are raw-edge applique. I quilted this on my new Janome Horizon 8900.

The Lone Star was a class from Jerry Granata at MQX Portland last fall (where I bought the Janome). My daughter's best friend since 1st grade will graduate from Texas A&M Vet School next month. Her favorite color is burgundy; she now lives in the Lone Star State; and A&Ms colors are maroon and white. The owner of the local quilt shop suggested placing the center on point because I wanted a bigger quilt for Melanie. She also suggested the strips for framing. For quilting, I "wrote" the names of the various places we (the two girls and their mothers) have ridden horses and camped over the years that they lived in Oregon. It came out as sort of a "Where's Waldo?" effect as the quilting thread really blends with the fabrics. Even though I sewed it, I have a hard time reading what I wrote. I hope she has fond memories as she reads the "writing". (Sorry it's sideways)

The wall hanging is a section from McKenna Ryan's latest design, True Nature. My husband asked for something to hang in the living room. His first choice was the entire quilt but it is around 80" long and our ceilings aren't that high. So I stitched like mad to get this done for Christmas. It is raw-edge applique. This is the first quilt that I tried FMQ to enhance the designs. For instance, in the waterfalls, I stitched from top to bottom and then in the foam stitched curly-cues. It was fun to contemplate the overall picture and try to add to the detail by quilting.

Thank you.

And thank you, Sandy Navas, for the link to resizing photos. It is now on my Favorites bar.
    The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Re: This past weekend at the Quilt Show...

Wow...those are beautiful! I love lone star quilts and I love how you did the strips around the star...will have to try that! Thanks for sharing.
    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Really great work. They are awesome.

Comment

very pretty quilts. I love the lone star quilt especially.

Comment

they're all beautiful. how long have you been quilting?
          :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Beautiful quilts. I'm impressed with your art quilts. You obviously worked very hard and it shows. Lovely.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Beautiful work! I love lighthouses and your quilt is so pretty.
              Donna

Comment

The first quilt I made was a Toni Whitney wall hanging in 2009, I think. The first bed-sized quilt I made was in 2012 for my 50th birthday.

Thank you all for your kind words.
                The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

You are one talented lady. I admire your artistry. Very beautiful quilts.

Comment

Really nice work... The quilts are awesome... I love the banner, too

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

These are just gorgeous. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing them with us! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Comment

Working...
                      X