Long Arm Quilting Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Arm Quilting Class

I had such fun getting the long arm quilting training this Saturday. I started taking notes and pictures but gave up on that once we got to the quilting part. The prep and set up took much longer than the quilting. My quilt is a lap size (48"x61") and the whole process took about 4.5 hours. Of course, it would be less if I wasn't just learning and actually knew what I was doing. I still have to square and bind the quilt. Can't wait to get it done! Now that I've done the training I can rent time on the quilter by the hour which is much cheaper than sending my quilt out to have it done for me. And now I can say I did it all myself (with the help of the computer). They also have non-computer ones if you want to FMQ. Boy was I tired by the time I got home. I'm not used to being on my feel for so many hours at a time. I've got a desk job and lower back issues and I sure knew it Saturday night. But all is good now.
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Re: Long Arm Quilting Class

I glad you had fun Nancy, I hope your notes are good, it took me a while to remember all the details of getting a quilt on the frame...kept rolling things on in the wrong direction. The setup part is quite time consuming but gets faster with practice. The pattern you chose looks nice, its very pretty.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

What a thrill. Great job, Nancy. We'll all be using your services :-)
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Gosh, that sounds like it was fun! Glad you have such a neat opportunity.
        There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

LOL Sandy. I think next time I'll try doing a special pattern for the borders instead of just and edge-to-edge pattern. I thought that would be too much for my first time out. My instructor was great and very patient. She also had lots of great advice about pattern size/density, thread color, etc. Since I'm so new to quilting in general I learned so much more than just how to run the machine.
          ;)Nancy

Comment

That's very cool! I also love the colors in your quilt.

Comment

I am so J-E-A-L-O-US!!! I want to do that!!!! Guess I should check around here to see if anyone gives lessons. Love the quilt by the way too. I have some fabric that I want to make a quilt for our bed but couldn't find the pattern I wanted to use...I wanted something very simple and your pattern I think would fit the bill. What is the dimensions of your individual pieces????
              LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

It's a D9P made from charm packs so the original blocks were 5". Took about 3 charm packs for this size quilt.
                ;)Nancy

Comment

How pretty! Love the colors! You did a great job. Hugs, Jan
                  Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Nancy----makes me feel so guilty for not getting downstairs and learning my quilting machine! I wish it was computerized, but I still need to learn to work with what I have! Great job!

Comment

Very pretty quilt, Nancy! And congrats on quilting it yourself! Are you planning on saving for a long arm?? I should look into places around here that rent out the machines (and teach method!. I think for now I am enjoying the piecing the most.
                      Take care of yourself, too....Bending over and being on your feet for that long is hard on the back. Hopefully with some time to rest it more, it will feel better real soon.

Comment

I can only wish that I could get lessons here lol, we don't even have a stop light!!! Looks beautiful and I am sooooooooooo jealous!!!!

Comment

Oh Nancy...bravo for you! I would love to do what you have done. Good luck on your advance learning and I look forward to seeing your quilting from the longarm experience.
                          Patti
                          "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

You are so lucky!! I so wish I could do that.
                            JVO

Comment

Your quilt looks amazing!! I can't wait to learn to use a longarm, one day I'll find someone to teach me.
                              :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

Working...
                              X