My first totes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first totes!

Alice, my 7 yr old, and I worked together on what was to be my very first tote. I used a tutorial for a quilt as you go tote and it went really well! Other than Alice losing interest after selecting her fabrics and sewing on the first couple of pieces lol.

Here's our tote! She chose the fabrics for this side (the front!! she says):

Alices tote 1.jpg

... and I chose the ones for the other side (the back...). Mine are scraps and for some reason I have loads of pink ones. I used the last of my beloved owl fabric for the centre.

Inside the bag is lined with fabric from Alice's stash and I added a couple of pockets.

Alices tote 2.jpg

I've also tried my hand at crocheting with t-shirt fabric yarn/strips, since a colleague has an aunt that sells it. Four of us from work got together to all of us crochet this monday and I finished the bag at home later. The handles didn't turn out exactly as I planned but I like it and I've used it twice already. It was my first ever project with that kind of "yarn" and I have some more to use up. Maybe I will make bowls next! If I can figure out how to not make the crocheting so tight and cumbersome lol.

Crochet tote.jpg
    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Re: My first totes!

Beautiful totes!! Well done
    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Very nice! Was that the Crafsty class you took? I like the shape of yours. The one in the class was a little big for me. I figured you can do any shape and size you wanted using that method.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I love it! Can you share the link to the tutorial? I really want to make myself a new tote bag and this looks like a great pattern!
        Lori

Comment

No Craftsy classes for me, both patterns are Pinterest finds! The quilt as you go tote is:
          Quilt-as-you-go School Bag ? Free Tutorial

Alice's is slightly smaller, since her mum cut the pieces wrong, lalala... She was also lazy enough not to make the closing flap!
          ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by Wwena View Post
            No Craftsy classes for me, both patterns are Pinterest finds! The quilt as you go tote is:
            Quilt-as-you-go School Bag ? Free Tutorial

Alice's is slightly smaller, since her mum cut the pieces wrong, lalala... She was also lazy enough not to make the closing flap!
            Thank you!
            Lori

Comment

Anna, your totes area adorable!

Comment

Fabulous... your talent and eye for color is going to go a long way bringing out the designer in your daughter... if she likes the hobby,, she will sail along,,, if she's like my DD... she's got the eye for color and design, but just doesn't have the love for the sewing and knitting part...LOL... but oh I envy you the fun of beginning with a new mind!!! hugs, B
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

very nice! Try going up to one size bigger on your crochet hook if yours is too tight

Comment

Beautiful, they look great. I am a crocheter and I never heard of using tshirts. Sounds cool. I agree, just try a larger hook and that should help
                    Karen
                    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

We have a lady here who crochets the plastic grocery bags or vinyl tablecloths to make all size bags or coin purses.They are so colorful.She has friends save their bags from dress stores or shoe stores or wherever.

Comment

Really nice.... Good work....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

They are great, nice job.

Comment

Thanks all! Yes a larger hook would probably help, I used a size 8 and that's about the smallest one that works at all. I think it was as much me not being used to the material as well though.
                            ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Beautiful totes, I have never seen a crocheted one before and I like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X