Brother Scan N Cut-- first project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother Scan N Cut-- first project

I got my Scan N Cut Saturday. It came with a big thick instruction book, and a website full of tutorials. I spent most of Saturday getting information on how to start, then started to play Saturday night with some paper projects. I tried to make a card for my grandson's birthday party, regretably, I gave my Xyron sticker maker to my daughter many years ago, and had no glue! It cut great!

Then I decided to print my 95+ photos from the 2013 Forum Fun Get Together to put them into an album. Michaels has fabulous sales on albums this week! Then I used the cutter to trim my photos. Since you can scan what's on your mat, you can position the different cutting shapes over the proper part of the photo you want cut. The only downside to this is you have to adjust the size of the shape BEFORE you place it, so that takes some practice to get that right.

I cut/ cropped all 95 in a couple of hours, did 6 at a time, using a variety of shapes. Now to start mounting them! Maybe I'll be done by September!

image.jpg

Upside down! Thought I had gotten over that!

Haven't tried fabric yet, but I have an idea how to cut a whole quilt set of blocks, Missouri Star will be my first experiment. You can save it, hit the reset button and cut each color in the blocks at once, no more templates!

Re: Brother Scan N Cut-- first project

That is SUPER cool and I'm kinda jealous . Please let us know how it works with fabric!

Comment

There is really gonna be no stopping you now. Can't wait to see what all that creative mind creates. Looking forward to seeing the album of pics from last year.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like it did a great job on the photos. I think I still have my xyron machine, as I do scrapbooking also. I am jealous too. Jean have fun playing with it while you learn.
        Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

Jean, did you get the cutter you ordered? The template with built in blade cutter you saw EB use? I'm waiting to hear what you think. I saw her use it and I think I might like it. It's just $$$ expensive. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by kensington View Post
            Jean, did you get the cutter you ordered? The template with built in blade cutter you saw EB use? I'm waiting to hear what you think. I saw her use it and I think I might like it. It's just $$$ expensive. LOL
            She has the same problem you have, arm/ shoulder problems. It seemed to work for her, but I haven't gotten into my strip project yet, so I don't have news to report yet. If you order, order from QIAD, it is $10 less than the Havels website. Seems like if it made cutting easier on your shoulder/arm, the price would be worth saving you pain.

Comment

Looks like a great bit of kit Jean. I've got a fabric blade for my Cameo, but the scanning set up you have on the Brother is a brill idea.
              I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
              Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                She has the same problem you have, arm/ shoulder problems. It seemed to work for her, but I haven't gotten into my strip project yet, so I don't have news to report yet. If you order, order from QIAD, it is $10 less than the Havels website. Seems like if it made cutting easier on your shoulder/arm, the price would be worth saving you pain.
                I think the same thing, but I was waiting to hear your word on it. LOL... imagine that, I trust your word more then EB? How does that happen. She taught me to make quilts! My first rotary cut quilt was from a pattern she did. LOL. I think I will order it later this month with some Birthday money. I wanted to keep it all for the retreat, but I think that would help me. Thanks!

Comment

I have one of these and love it.

Just remember if/when you cut fabric with the heat n bond/ wonder under/ whatever you use for appliqués to apply the fabric to the cutting mat- if you apply it fabric side up, the paper sticks and it's hell to get off (ask me how I know). This means if you're cutting letters or something that's directional, you have to mirror then to get them right on the fabric but other than that, I love being able to cut my fabric shapes with the touch of a button.
                  "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

Originally posted by Mchelem View Post
                    I have one of these and love it.

Just remember if/when you cut fabric with the heat n bond/ wonder under/ whatever you use for appliqués to apply the fabric to the cutting mat- if you apply it fabric side up, the paper sticks and it's hell to get off (ask me how I know). This means if you're cutting letters or something that's directional, you have to mirror then to get them right on the fabric but other than that, I love being able to cut my fabric shapes with the touch of a button.
                    Thanks for that bit of advice! I trashed a cutting mat by cutting with too much pressure. Learning curve! I will be trying fabric for my next learning project!

Comment

Well I had NO idea what this was that you were talking about so I went and watched a video...and well THAT was a mistake! I WANT ONE! I am terrible at cutting...and I'm a tech junkie. Time to start saving my pennies! That's one cool gadget. Have fun!

Comment

Jean it works great with cutting fun foam ....which allows you to make your own stencils

Comment

First project finished. Photo album of our 2013 Fall Forum Get Together. All paper, no cloth yet!

I got up early this morning wanting to play some more with the Scan N Cut, so I started putting pictures together on pages for the album. I had a good time creating big lettering labels for the pages. I had to cut my small labels by hand from several pages in the paper block that looked like labels. Got this great 12x12 Victorian inspired paper pack on sale at Michaels. Found that using a negative space lettering in a block is easier than gluing individual letters on the page!

Now, my daughter with her Cricut machine takes 3 hours per page when she scrapbooks, but not this chick! Got all my pictures in the book and labeled by 10 a.m.

I attempted to load them into the 2013 Group album, used my iPad camera, which isn't the greatest. If I wanted to disassemble the book and scan the pages, they would be clearer. Sorry, not in the mood for that! Check it out if you care to see it!
                          Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; April 8, 2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I just went through all the pictures you uploaded. I never got into the whole scrapbooking trend. Yours looks great!
                            K is for Karen 😊​..................
                            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                            T - is it TRUE?
                            H - is it HELPFUL?
                            I - is it INSPIRING?
                            N - is it NECESSARY?
                            K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                              I just went through all the pictures you uploaded. I never got into the whole scrapbooking trend. Yours looks great!
                              My daughter was a Creative Memories consultant 20 years ago when all the scrapbooking craze started. I have a few albums that I put together, but they take so much time and money to build, then nobody looks at them. She still crops with her friends on a regular basis, she came to St. Louis in January for their yearly crop camp weekend. She got us into it, we have a bunch of scrapbooking stuff in our closets still.

Comment

Working...
                              X