Child's Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child's Play

My 11 yr old granddaughter spent the weekend with me, I taught her how to sew, she's pretty good at it. I started her out on my old Singer just doing lines so she could learn how to make straight seems, the Singer doesn't have a peddle speed adjuster so I put her on my new machine, I did the cutting, she did the sewing, here's the results. Pop took the finished block and attached it to a slim piece of plywood and put a picture hanger on the back so she can hang it on her wall. Someday she's going to be really good at this and she really enjoyed herself.

012 (640x537).jpg

015 (640x583).jpg
    Last edited by Leah53; April 6, 2014, 03:07 PM.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Re: Child's Play

How nice! A future quilter for sure

Comment

What a fun memory to create with your granddaughter. I remember sewing with my grandmother when I was a child. Those are memories that will never be forgotten. And her block is really nice!

Comment

What a wonderful memory!! I was raised by my grandmother but she passed away when I was 13. I remember her sewing and latchhooking. May I suggest that you take a picture of you, your DGD and the block? I so wish I had a picture of my grandmother and I and some of the things we worked on together

Comment

She did a great job! I know you are proud of her.
          Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

sounds like fun. I agree she'll remember this forever.
            :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Wonderful block, and ooh, such a great time with your sweet granddaughter.
              sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

How fun! She will always remember that her grandma taught her to sew and quilt... I love that you are passing down your love of the art of quilting...

Comment

Good Student, Great Teacher - Perfect combination :-)
                  Preeti
                  http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sierra is the only one of my granddaughters (6) thus far who has taken an interest in crafts. She has behavioral issues and is sometimes not the most agreeable child, she's stubborn and usually prefers to do it "her" way but I let her know right up front that she will learn it my way and even though some of it might be tedious she will stick with it. I started her right out on how to thread a machine, wind a bobbin, needle down, pressure foot etc and she stuck with it, I'm really proud of her. I thought it was amazing that she didn't want her first project to be a little bag or pillow, she wanted to do what I was doing and she did it. Still needs a bit of practice on 1/4", so do I, but after day one she did awesome. The most important thing is, she's proud of herself.

I tried to teach her to crochet but she's a lefty so I gave that up and bought her a complete set of crochet hooks, book for lefties and video for Christmas, she is now doing a single crochet, a bit loose but she knows she has to practice to tighten it up. I've also tried to teach her how to make cards but she is definitely a "do it my own way" personality on that one so I just give her the paper, rubber stamps etc. and she can do it "her" way. I'm a firm believer in picking your battles. Sewing is different, she WILL do it "MY" way.

I tried to teach things to her mother but her mother had no interest, in fact, she says she's still traumatized over the little crafts I "made" her do as a child, as in a walnut strawberry ornament. Brat!!! We did make a quilt, sorta, when she was about 12 yrs old, it was a pinwheel and we used a blanket for batting, no quilting, she still has it.
                    Last edited by Leah53; April 7, 2014, 10:25 AM.
                    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

She did a fabulous job on those blocks
                      Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                      I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Working...
                      X