What I've been doing lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I've been doing lately

Sometimes you just need busy work that takes no thought but is productive. I took a class called "Scrap Therapy" based on the book "Cut the Scraps!" by Joan Ford. I took all my scraps, bins, bags and boxes of them, and cut them into useful pieces. See what I ended up with? The deal is to iron all those wrinkly bits of fabric and cut them up into 5", 3.5" and 2" squares. I see a few scrappy quilts in my future.
    Attached Files
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Re: What I've been doing lately

So organized now. A much easier way to use your scraps. You have done the hardest part now. Happy quilting
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Looks good. I need to do something like that.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

It was boring but therapeutic.
        Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

So did you cut the pieces closest to the sizes you mentioned because it fit that small piece? Or did you cut bigger pieces into several smaller sizes? Hope that made sense lol
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

According to the Scrap Therapy class, these are the most useful sizes for scrap quilts, so that's what I cut. I cut the largest size I could get out of a piece then kept cutting until there was nothing left. I do think I'd rather have cut 2.5" squares instead of the 2" ones, but it's too late now. I have hundreds of 2" squares! I plan on making a double nine-patch with them and am looking through Jenny's tutorials to see what I can do with the 5" and 3.5" squares. I'm thinking half-square triangles, which I love and can be made into so many different patterns.
            Cyndi

Comment

Isn't that a fabulous book? I work on and off on that same project myself. Seems like a neverending task!
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have tons of scraps that are really too small to wrap, so I have considered this method.....however...a question?......how hard will it be to flip through stacks of blocks to find coordinating blocks? or are you just planning for totally scrappy blocks? Will you sort by color or just stack as is?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                  I have tons of scraps that are really too small to wrap, so I have considered this method.....however...a question?......how hard will it be to flip through stacks of blocks to find coordinating blocks? or are you just planning for totally scrappy blocks? Will you sort by color or just stack as is?
                  Good question. I wanted to ask that too, but it seemed too much to ask at one time. lol
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

You are an inspiration - love what you have done.

I have been watching Bonnie Hunter a lot lately and love her scrap users system (Quiltville's Quips & Snips!!: Scrap User's System!), but have not yet made that step of organizing my scraps. There are more links within the original that show how she has refined her system since she wrote that original post.

So far, I am putting anything smaller than a fat quarter into my colored fabric bins. However, I think I will use scraps more if I cut them into useable sizes. Like Bonnie says - find a system that works for you - meaning you actually use those scraps and don't just turn into a scrap saver.
                    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Ok----more than one question......but inquiring minds want to know, before I cut it all up!

Comment

WOW - what a job that must have been.......I really should take a page out of your book!!!!

Originally posted by cyndiofthevortex View Post
                        Sometimes you just need busy work that takes no thought but is productive. I took a class called "Scrap Therapy" based on the book "Cut the Scraps!" by Joan Ford. I took all my scraps, bins, bags and boxes of them, and cut them into useful pieces. See what I ended up with? The deal is to iron all those wrinkly bits of fabric and cut them up into 5", 3.5" and 2" squares. I see a few scrappy quilts in my future.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                          ...how hard will it be to flip through stacks of blocks to find coordinating blocks? or are you just planning for totally scrappy blocks? Will you sort by color or just stack as is?
                          I love super-scrappy quilts. I only cut medium to dark valued scraps, no lights, so it will be easy to pair them with a light fabric for a background. I'll put almost anything together, florals, batiks, geometrics and tone on tones and always love the look of it. No pastels, though. They would stand out too much against the muted, darker tones.
                          Cyndi

Comment

I do the same thing. I also will cut strips 2 1/2" and 1 1/2 ", depending on the best yield of the fabric. I just cut up any small pieces as I finish a project. Then I don't have a bunch to cut up an once. Then, I sort mine by groups in the drawer - darks, lights, brights, batiks - it works for me. It's pretty easy to find what you need.

Comment

I have done something sililar but cut mine into 5 inch squares, 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 inch strips. I am trying to keep up as I finish a project.
                              Wendy
                              http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

Working...
                              X