What I do with all the little bits of scrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I do with all the little bits of scrap

I save all my scrap, but there's always bits too small to be useful - trimmed dog ears, squaring off blocks, straightening fabric before cutting, and even selvage edges.

On one episode of Love of Quilting (last year?) Mary mentioned that when she trims a bunch of dog ears she wears an apron, lets the bits fall in her lap, then tosses them out into the great outdoors so birds can use them as nest material.

Then I saw a crocheting friend post on Pinterest that yarn scraps can be put into bird feeders.

I had an idea. I started saving all the little bits of cotton scraps and thread in a bag

I bought a nugget feeder (sometimes called a suet holder) at Home Depot for just under $5
    The key is the size of the holes - too small and they won't be able to pull the pieces out, but too large and it'll all end up on the ground.

Filled it with the bits - ready for birds to snag a piece and use it when building their nests.

This one is being sent to my 7 & 9 year old nephews. They've been told to be on the lookout for nests when they take walks in their neighborhood and see if they can see any bright colors.

What do you do with your bits?

Re: What I do with all the little bits of scrap

great idea....
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I have to say I toss mine! I have seen this idea before. Let us know if the birdies take advantage of your bits.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

I don't have the time to be bothered with saving small scraps they get tossed. If I though the birds would use them I might save them. I tried with dryer lint and it just lays in the yard and looks nasty when it rains, so nope not puting fabric all over my yard. My sewing time is too precious to be too bothered with scraps.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Ok, I like this idea WAY better than putting dog hair from their brushing out in the yard. The birds like that too, but this is just WAY nicer!
            sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

That is brilliant!!! Does it work, do the birds get the idea?
              ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

What a wonderful idea. We have lots of birds around here. A lot of my neighbors feed the birds and have bird houses.

Comment

That's a wonderful idea!!! I take the lint from my dryer and pat it onto the bark of a tree. The birds LOVE to put this in their nests, too!
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Oh come on, Iris Girl....we all have time to help our little feathered friends. Maybe they have a stash somewhere!!
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

What a wonderful idea. No more tossing tiny scraps for me.

Comment

I LOVE that idea, I will have to get one of those feeders.
                        "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                        :D

Comment

That is a really neat idea! We feed the birds here and would love to know if they take advantage of the scraps for their nests. I, however, give my scraps to one of the ladies I quilt with, who uses it as stuffing for the little animals she makes. They are adorable.
                          sigpic

Comment

Awesome idea!

Comment

What a great idea. I may have to give this one a try. Never heard of the dryer lint trick either...
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X