Spray starch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray starch

I made homemade spray starch and I have to say I absolutely love it. In a spray bottle, I put 1 heaping tbsp. cornstarch and added 1 pint water (distilled if the water is hard). a drop or two of essence can be added if you would like. the bottle must be shaken well if it's been sitting awhile. I used a clear bottle so i can see if it's mixed properly. Works extremely well and so much cheaper than the spray cans and much better for the environment too.

Re: Spray starch

Hmmmm. Might be worth a try. Thanks. JCY

Comment

I'm going to have to give it a try, thanks.

Comment

I always make my own starch. My recipe is from a forum member and I love it.

Spray Starch

2 cups distilled water
        6 – 12 drops essential oil
        1/3 cup liquid starch
        2 ounces of vodka

Put in a spray bottle and shake well before each use
        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I make mine the same as you Carolyn and have for years - I LOVE it! So easy and super inexpensive and really does a great job while being very earth-friendly!

Great for quilters with allergies too since it's just corn starch and water!
          Last edited by Suzette; March 28, 2014, 05:32 AM.
          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

As someone who has gone through my fair share of aerosol cans of starch, I may give this a try. I have been a little afraid of the other ingredients, oils and vodka, fearing that down the road they may discolor the fabric. You know how you put baby clothes away all pretty and stain free and a few years later you take them out to use them and all those spit up stains have reappeared as brown spots? Maybe it wouldn't happen, but it's just been a concern to me.
            Donna

Comment

I use Best Press and love it.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

where do you get essence oil from? I just came across the recipe last nite.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                  I use Best Press and love it.
                  This is what I use and I love it too!

Comment

Originally posted by dwil23 View Post
                    As someone who has gone through my fair share of aerosol cans of starch, I may give this a try. I have been a little afraid of the other ingredients, oils and vodka, fearing that down the road they may discolor the fabric. You know how you put baby clothes away all pretty and stain free and a few years later you take them out to use them and all those spit up stains have reappeared as brown spots? Maybe it wouldn't happen, but it's just been a concern to me.
                    I have not been quilting all that long but have learned to starch and press just before cutting the fabric for a quilt. I do wash most of my fabric [not pre cuts] and then I fold and put away. When I am ready to use the fabric then I starch and press. I do sometimes starch, put into a plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to use.

Comment

Originally posted by deedum View Post
                      where do you get essence oil from? I just came across the recipe last nite.
                      I've found it in Michael's with the soap making supplies.

Comment

Hmm, take out the starch and add ice, shake, don't stir, and enjoy.

Just kidding - wine is more my style! LOL Can't even enjoy it very often since I started taking blood pressure medicine.

Thanks for the recipe. Might I suggest adding this over in the tutorial section and maybe everyone who has a recipe for it can add to it.

My question about starching and storing - do you have to worry about bugs? The ones I'm thinking of I think they are called silver fish - have a bunch of legs and eat stuff like starch?

Is essential oils what they use in the store bought to make them smell nice? I'm thinking lavender might be a good soothing smell. Would that work?
                        Vonnie

Comment

When I use homemade starch I wash my quilts as soon as finished. We have lots of bugs here in Rio and cornstarch does attract them.
                          "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                          Hillary Clinton

Comment

Working...
                          X