Had to see what all the fuss was about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to see what all the fuss was about

Inspired by RiverMomm's disappearing pinwheel quilt I decided I needed to know what the fuss was all about so I watched Jenny's tutorial. Easy as pie, piece of cake, or so I thought, my cake seemed to be a bit stale, the cutting is an issue especially if your seems aren't straight as mine rarely are.

After making the one showed below, I got to looking at it and thought, it might take longer but you can also cut out each piece individually and then sew it together, as in, make your pinwheel, the 4 hst and then strip sew the 4 inner. Here is my one and only block so far but I like it enough to try a whole quilt.

IMG_4127 (539x427).jpg
    Last edited by Leah53; March 27, 2014, 08:08 AM.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Re: Had to see what all the fuss was about

I learned that if you Square up or down your block to an even 12" you can cut in 4" intersection.

That will be from the middleseam 2" all around.

Then it is much easier.
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

I didn't square my block to 12", thought about it after the fact, I just cut 4 inches anyway and it seemed to work on this one. If you square to 12 then you'll have to square again after you sew it back together and with me, too much squaring turns a 12" block into an 8" block when all is said and done.
      Last edited by Leah53; March 27, 2014, 08:03 AM.
      Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Originally posted by Leah53 View Post
        I didn't square my block to 12", thought about it after the fact, I just cut 4 inches anyway and it seemed to work on this one.
        My block turned out to be 12.5" so I squared them down to an even 12".
        Easier math ;-)
        sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
        The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
        A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
        And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

I was making my DPW #2 (Churn Dash) by starting with 12.5" squares of fabric. Even though I pin well, I'm having problems with the fabric shifting when I sew, so the 4 sections of PW don't come out exact. So...now I'm making the HSTs separately using the usual method of the drawing the line down the middle & sewing 1/4" on either side of the line. That way I get exactly 8.5" square sections for the PW portion of the block. Then I cut into thirds with ea. pc. being 5.5" square. The unfinished block will be 15.5". It works much better for me, with less frustration. JCY

Comment

Looks good Leah. I think I would really like it in blacks and whites, too. Mmmm LQS is having sale on at the moment on fabric. Perhaps some blacks and whites for me??
            HUGS,
            Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

Working...
            X