Plum Sweet Bento Box Baby Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plum Sweet Bento Box Baby Quilt

Here are some pictures of the (almost) completed quilt I am making for my niece's first birthday.

The fabrics (except the border and binding) are Plum Sweet by Blackbird Designs. The "bento box" pattern is created by using 2 different jelly roll strips to sash one corner of a charm square then the 4 charm/JR strip pieces are sewn together into the block. Doing it this way makes a ridiculously large 17" block.

The border and binding were cut from some random yardage my wife picked out at Joann's. The finished quilt will be ≈40x49 after a row of charms was added to a 2x2 block pattern. (A 3x3 block pattern would make a nice lap quilt!)

The quilting was done with a serpentine stitch going diagonally across each of the four pieces which complete each "bento block". The backing is the same fabric as the border.

Here is the top pre-quilting. This picture is closer to the correct colors, the following pictures all distorted the colors pretty significantly. Sorry.

Here is a closeup that shows the serpentine stitch (sorry the colors are so messed up, camera phone and poor lighting in the quilting room)

This is the fabric that we will cut the binding from. The pen is for size reference.

I know this quilt won't be everyone's cup of tea but I like the scrappy look of it. The formal/vintage fabrics with the modern pattern make for an interesting contrast. It is certainly nice enough for a baby to drool on.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Re: Plum Sweet Bento Box Baby Quilt

It looks great and I like the serpentin stiching!

Good job!
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

That is really nice Ryan. Might have to try that pattern sometime.
      LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I like it - the stitching is just right. Perfect for a little girl without being too girly.
        Vonnie

Comment

The color pallet is ME... love the plum and brown?.. or whatever color you've chosen,, the prints work well too... It's going to be a wonderful gift... I imagine your planning a "boy" quilt right!!!! Trucks, or puppies, or dinosaurs... that's gonna' be a fun fabric hunt! B
          "Each day well-lived and Happy;
          that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Very nice! I actually went and hunted down your last one for the tute you shared. I have a jelly roll with printed primary colors and thought of you.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have looked at that line several times (I have a purple master bedroom) and just haven't purchased it yet. I will now. Your quilt looks really pretty. Nice job. (Also pretty impressed that you are still able to sew with Little Man around!)
              Judy

Comment

I love this fabric collection and it is in my wishlist. Yours looks great, nice job!
                sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                Sigmund Freud

Comment

I like it. I see you used the serpentine stitch. How was it doing it? Would you use it again?
                  Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

I love it! I have also had my eye on that fabric line just didn't know what to do with it. Love the quilting too!

Comment

It looks great, Ryan. I really like that pattern. Alas, another one to add to my quilty bucket list...
                      Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

Ryan,
                        I love everything about this quilt. It'sure to be loved!
                        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Love the fabric and I think it goes perfectly with the bento box, May have to pick some of that fabric line up !

Comment

It's such a pretty quilt for a little girl. Love it!
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by jsmetcalf View Post
                              I have looked at that line several times (I have a purple master bedroom) and just haven't purchased it yet. I will now. Your quilt looks really pretty. Nice job. (Also pretty impressed that you are still able to sew with Little Man around!)
                              You should! I liked some of the patterns and colors better than others but none of them were bad and some of them are stunning.

As for quilting with a baby in the house- he is a good natured baby so sometimes he sits in a bouncy chair in the quilt room or I just work on the quilt for shorter periods of time while he naps.

Originally posted by Pegger View Post
                              I like it. I see you used the serpentine stitch. How was it doing it? Would you use it again?
                              I really like it. I used the dissappearing pen to mark my lines and the serpentine stitch really helps hide any seams that didn't align perfectly. I did have the thread break once and you have to be kind of careful trying to line up everything so it isn't too obvious where the stop/start were in the middle of a row (especially when using contrasting thread like I did). Overall I like it a lot though. My sister-in-law, the mother of the baby this is for, has just started quilting on a $50 singer machine and I know she will enjoy seeing the fancy stitching since her machine only does straight or zigzag. My only suggestions are- use quality thread, use a sharp needle, clean the bobbin area before you start because stopping and restarting mid-line is difficult. I can't wait to try some of the other decorative stitches on my machine for future quilts.
                              Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Working...
                              X