Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to buy a 10 year old for his birthday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to buy a 10 year old for his birthday?

A box of rocks, of course!

image.jpg

From the Tellus Science Museum of Northern Georgia. He is learning about rocks and minerals in 4th grade, he was very, very interested in the museum display on rocks and minerals. I heard him saying quietly as we were driving home " I can't wait to show these to my friends!" Much better present than a video game!

Excellent museum if you are in the Atlanta area!

Re: What to buy a 10 year old for his birthday?

Awesome gift! I loved it when my kiddos loved those kind of learning gifts. What boy doesn't love rocks!

Comment

Awesome! That is a SCORE for Grandma! and I loved rocks too.
      I collected them and saved them in a box under my bed. Now I collect
      them for my fingers....Just kidding, I couldn't resist.

(I will not buy video games.)

Comment

My grandson loved anything related to dinosaurs when he was that age.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Oh Jean! Heather left me with a huge collection of rocks that she gathered from all over the world between the ages of 6 when she began to now. Every trip to whatever site she goes to she brings me a rock. (shakes my head) If next time she comes up I ask her to label them with what they are and where they came from would you like me send them to you for him? I would have to send them by sea because of the weight so they would take about 2 months I think.........would that be too late or is he generally interested?

This is exactly how Heather began and now she is a Geo Technic Engineer. From small beginnings eh? Do tell his mother though that if he gets into this to REALLY check his pockets before washing his clothes. Heather's rocks wrecked 4 machines for me!

She would be very excited for a young rock lover to have her crazy collection.
          Last edited by Divine Daisy; March 23, 2014, 04:53 PM.
          Blog
          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Saw your post on FB. Kat and the kids love that museum. We haven't made it there yet.

Such a handsome lad! Glad you guys had fun.

PS, I replied to your email.
            sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

He looks exactly like my new foster grandson, Zander! What a cutie he is! Good for you for finding just the right gift. Doesn't that feel good?
              Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I love it that he is so interested in science. I just hope he keeps his scholarly Interest mojo going through middle school.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Daisy View Post
                  Oh Jean! Heather left me with a huge collection of rocks that she gathered from all over the world between the ages of 6 when she began to now. Every trip to whatever site she goes to she brings me a rock. (shakes my head) If next time she comes up I ask her to label them with what they are and where they came from would you like me send them to you for him? I would have to send them by sea because of the weight so they would take about 2 months I think.........would that be too late or is he generally interested?

This is exactly how Heather began and now she is a Geo Technic Engineer. From small beginnings eh? Do tell his mother though that if he gets into this to REALLY check his pockets before washing his clothes. Heather's rocks wrecked 4 machines for me!

She would be very excited for a young rock lover to have her crazy collection.
                  Oh Allison! I can hardly say yes fast enough! Of course,I will pay for the shipping, but what a great opportunity for an awesome rock collection. PM me and we'll work out the details! His eyes lit upike a Christmas tree when I asked if he would like them. His mother is forewarned about the rocks in the pockets!
                  Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 23, 2014, 05:38 PM.

Comment

What a great gift. That is thinking inside the box of course.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

Awesome Gramma Jean! I bought a rock collection for my Granddaughter at about that age. I remember thinking "I wonder how many other kids are getting a box of rocks for Christmas?"
                      sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Very cool! I'd send him a lava rock from here but it's supposed to bring bad mojo. I had a forum member (someplace else) send me some so I could put them back. lol
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have a small pile of rocks on my computer desk right now - one of the girls is a rock-hound and is forever bringing me one little tidbit with a story. And I don't DARE misplace one - she knows how many there are and where she got them. One of the others brings me ACORNS . . .
                          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

this reminds me of the year my oldest DS was in the army in Germany and one of my Christmas presents was a small bag of "rocks". No I never gave them rocks when they were little. LOL. When he called home later that day he explained that they had found some large pieces of the Berlin Wall in the basement of one of the buildings so they chopped at them and sent pieces homeBerlin Wall.jpg. Moral of the story???? Never underestimate the value of a "rock"
                            Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                              Very cool! I'd send him a lava rock from here but it's supposed to bring bad mojo. I had a forum member (someplace else) send me some so I could put them back. lol
                              When we went to Hawaii in 2002, we were told about Pele's revenge, never take rocks from the islands or Pele will know and you will be sorry! When we got home, hubs turned on his computer and his power supply blew. He came out of the computer room and asked if I had brought home any rocks. No! But we felt Pele's revenge just the same!

Comment

Working...
                              X