Making a Queen or King Size Jelly Roll Race Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a Queen or King Size Jelly Roll Race Quilt

I just completed doing a tutorial series on using the jelly roll race technique to make an extra long and wide quilt top for a queen or King size bed. Inspiration for doing the quilt top this way came from a discussion Jenny and I had last fall at our forum retreat. I wrote up my directions once I got home last October, but never tried doing the process for myself. I had 4 jelly rolls with 24 strips in each from Big Lots, which was just the perfect number of strips for me to use to make a top for my queen bed. As I was making the top, I videotaped the process.

Here it is!

Making a queen/King size jelly roll race quilt
    New technique and formula for making a queen or king size jelly roll race quilt in 5 segments. Go to Jean JellyRoll Queen's YouTube channel.

Part 1-- introduction to the project http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rdiUxlglZH4

Part 2--calculating the number of strips you need. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8apGkfvwrog

Part 3--preparing the strip and starting the quilt. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ckxphgOiDck

Part 4--finishing the sections and squaring them. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x42LEZ8-4O4

Part 5-- putting the sections together for the finished top. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=quYw1GAqMgY

Links found in my User Notes, page 6

Here's what it looks like!

image.jpg
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 21, 2014, 02:59 AM.

Re: Making a Queen or King Size Jelly Roll Race Quilt

Oh my, Jean that looks super, what fun to finally have a JRR Quilt big enough to grace the bed of our JRR Queen. Your tutorials turned out very well, thank you for sharing with us.
    sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

your quilt looks really nice. i usually don't like the look of a jjr just because it is too chaotic to my eye.(too much of that in life)
      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

For some reason the link in Step 2 just takes me to a list of videos - none of which tell me how to calculate the number of strips needed. Am I missing where it's at or is it a bad link? Just a bit confused ... I was trying to figure out how many I'd need for an odd size throw.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
          For some reason the link in Step 2 just takes me to a list of videos - none of which tell me how to calculate the number of strips needed. Am I missing where it's at or is it a bad link? Just a bit confused ... I was trying to figure out how many I'd need for an odd size throw.
          Sorry, Judy! I fixed it!

Comment

I just watched all 5 segments of your tutorial and love it!! I like the concept of making the larger JRRs in three sections to avoid having to wrestle with one large, awkward top. Great job, Jean!
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

This is a new tutorial I just put together. A new member just asked about how to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                I just watched all 5 segments of your tutorial and love it!! I like the concept of making the larger JRRs in three sections to avoid having to wrestle with one large, awkward top. Great job, Jean!
                Thanks, Barb! It was really easy to work with the smaller sections!

Comment

Jean this is wonderful! I loved watching this! You did such a wonderful job on it and making the viewer believe they can do it (that's ME!)
                  sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Jean your quilt looks great. Will watch the steps later tonight when I am at home and can concentrate. Thank you in advance for you time that you put into this.

Comment

Beautiful!! And Big Lots has fabric???!?!?

Comment

I'm watching the videos now, and love them... Thanks for all your hard work....

Thanks for the tip on how to avoid twists... Last time, I actually did some pinning, but your method looks easier...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Thanks for the tip on how to avoid twists... Last time, I actually did some pinning, but your method looks easier...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post

Sandy do as I say, not as I do! I actually had 2 twists in one of those sections, the one I was making in the demo! The first was easy, the second one was harder to untangle!

Comment

Originally posted by Misses.M View Post
                              Beautiful!! And Big Lots has fabric???!?!?
                              They did have a lot of jelly rolls, fat quarters, rolled 1 yard pieces and charms. I went back this week to look, and the supply was very limited, only 3 jelly rolls, one rolled 1 yard bold, some charm packs and fat quarters. They were well stocked a year ago, the stock has dwindled. As with all things at Big Lots, once it's gone, you'll never see it again!

Comment

Working...
                              X