My very first quilt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My very first quilt.

Don't zoom into closely to the points!!!
    I had bought some lovely Morning glory fabric fat quarters over 10 years ago at the first Tokyo Quilt show.. Never used them . Somehow I decided I had to use them before I started any new projects.

I took ages finding a simple pattern that I could work with my 10 fat quarters. I was so excited to sew my first 2 squares together around the edges, cut on the diagonal both ways and open to reveal 4 half triangle squares (-boring all my friends on FB no doubt on my every step! (SO glad to have found this forum so I can post about quilting stuff here instead!!!)

Amazedly I found some identiacal yardage at an Etsy vintage online store which despite shipping to Japan I decided I must have for border/backing. (and total cost equalled just a plain cotton choice here) So happy to have found thatfabric, a lovely teal color as it really makes me relax just to see /feel it every night. Lots of time taken just cutting the squares,trimming and retriming.....and retriming blocks -working with a pattern in inches, and a cutting mat/ruler in CM did not help At ALL!!! (I have now decided to use precuts from MSQ.)

Anyway here it is- on my king size bed, but I did not have courage to try a larger quilt before- but it matches some Ikea duvet covers that show underneath so I can just about get away with it. Oh and I used the scraps to pimp the matching Ikea pillow cases
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]70976[/ATTACH
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MariaNaito; March 16, 2014, 05:56 AM.

Re: My very first quilt.

Beautiful! I love the colors and pattern. Lucky you to find yardage this long after the fabric was originally purchased!

Comment

Wow. I love it. You are pretty couragous to make a king sized quilt for your first quilt, but that courage really paid off. What a beautiful quilt. I see lots of beautiful quilts from you in the future.
      My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

Oh, it's lovely. Gorgeous fabric and yes, how lucky to have found some yardage too.
        I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
        Lorraine

Comment

beautiful!

Comment

Beautiful quilt and I love the colors.
            Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

That is awesome! You did a great job. You have a treasure to enjoy for years to come. I look forward to seeing some of your next projects.

Comment

Wow! Your first quilt was a king? I am just now working on my first quilt that isn't for a child or throw. That is fabulous - I love the colors in it.
                Debbie

Comment

What a great first quilt--you did a lovely job

Comment

First quilt? It's beautiful. I see many quilts in your future.
                    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

That's really pretty! Love the colors!
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Maria, you are really an Artist. If this is your first quilt, I am curious what will happen in the next month. I am happy that you will be able to tell me in Person. Looking forward to August

Comment

Everything about your quilt is lovely. It's actually an ambitious undertaking for a first quilt...great job!
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

WOW!!! For your first quilt you did an incredible job I am still nervous to do something that intricate! I also know what you mean about wanting to post all the steps online on FB but yeah... my friends would think I am weird or boring too and not "get it". Sew... I am still so glad to have come across this forum too. I still have not come across another forum like it. Thanks for sharing!
                            Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Beautiful. Amazing pattern to pick for a first quilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X