What to do with tumbler scraps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with tumbler scraps

Just playing around, came up with this, the mini tumbler, might get enough for a doll quilt. What do you do with your smaller than small scraps?

IMG_3989 (640x480).jpg IMG_3991 (640x480).jpg

IMG_3993 (640x480).jpg
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Re: What to do with tumbler scraps

I am not big on saving small scraps. So, recently I started giving them to my granddaughter who now uses them to make cards and pictures on art paper. She has a blast and loves making things for others and the scraps get used.
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

That is sew cute!
      Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
        I am not big on saving small scraps. So, recently I started giving them to my granddaughter who now uses them to make cards and pictures on art paper. She has a blast and loves making things for others and the scraps get used.
        What a wonderful idea and how fun for your creative granddaughter.
        Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

I love your scrappy tumblers! I gave my little one away for a gift. I 'm going to have to get another one now!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I really like what you did... Very original....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

For tiny bits I tend to shred them up by running my rotary cutter over a small pile of them and then I stuff them into a bird nut feeder. It's supposed to help them find enough to build nests in the spring, but this is the first year I'm putting them out.

I like what you've fine piecing them together though - it's not much but if you stick with it for a while it'll eventually be.

I've heard some people save them to use as stuffing for dog beds and such?

Comment

I keep usable scraps and everything else gets thrown away. I've used small pieces to make potholders, coasters, mug rugs and pin cushions. I'd like to make a scrappy quilt one of these days. Of course because I'm a little OCD, my scrappy is going to have to have some sort of order to it..LOL
                I love the mini tumbler and have used it to make some of my potholders and mug rugs. Great use of small scraps.
                Cil
                A quilt is a blanket of love
                http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

My scraps are out of hand but then so are my projects lol....Im going to make another scrap quilt. They are great for mugrugs too.

Comment

I just ran across this that is pretty cute.

Pin by Maria Siourounis on Quilting | Pinterest
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Great idea.
                      SandyWhite
                      Ocala, Florida
                      http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

I like to take my scraps and sew them on adding machine paper to make a scrappy border. I just sit down and add some on when done with a project trying to mix up the colors then roll it up and stash it away.
                        Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
                          Your comment made me remember...YEARS ago, back in 1st/2nd grade... at christmas time, mom would let us take all the wrapping paper scraps and we'd find little things to wrap to give to our dolls! (me and my sister) Scraps can make memories!
                          Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
                            For tiny bits I tend to shred them up by running my rotary cutter over a small pile of them and then I stuff them into a bird nut feeder. It's supposed to help them find enough to build nests in the spring, but this is the first year I'm putting them out.

I like what you've fine piecing them together though - it's not much but if you stick with it for a while it'll eventually be.

I've heard some people save them to use as stuffing for dog beds and such?
                            Now I haven't heard that before and I have a bunch of birds I have been keeping around with feeders and just got a pretty bird bath and I have hummingbirds.. I just tossed my trash can of threads and scraps yesterday... think I'll do dig some out and see what I can do! And if it works...just wait till I tell my grand daughters...they will flip!
                            Cheri

Comment

I won't work with smaller than 2,1/2" pieces and even then... borderline if I will. I am working on a postage stamp swap with that size and hopefully going to enjoy making the quilt with fabrics I have never seen! THis is about it on my blog if you are interested..
                              Fabric And Memories: And It's Off!!! The Postage Stamp Quilt Swap!

The only other thing I use smaller scraps for is I save a bunch to use as "thread heads". My Singer 9960 doesn't seem to have the presser foot lined up right with the feed dogs and I can't put a piece of fabric under the presser foot to start a seam because the feed dogs won't grab it.. so I always have to start with a "thread head" under the foot completely and start stitching, then put the fabric under the foot...and pull the thread head in the back to pull the fabric through once it catches. So I keep small pieces in a basket at my machine, but that is far as my scraps go!
                              Cheri

Comment

Working...
                              X