My new boy has arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new boy has arrived!

His name is Pfrederick, and he was made in 1952. He has the most pleasing purrrrrr when he sews, and his stitches are just perfection. I love him!

Cathryn

Re: My new boy has arrived!

He's a beautiful boy
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

He looks Great, is he the size of a featherweight or is he bigger??? I have never seen an older Pfaff like this. Great find.
      Lynn R

Comment

Very Handsome - Love his name!
        Donna

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn Ramsey View Post
          He looks Great, is he the size of a featherweight or is he bigger??? I have never seen an older Pfaff like this. Great find.
          He is a Big Boy. Probably the opposite of a Featherweight. LOL! In his case he weighs about 40 lbs.

He can sew through anything you can fit under his presser foot. And he is so handsome!
          Cathryn

Comment

I second that, he is truly Handsome!
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Love him, sooo jealous! I always keep my eye out for an old Pfaff to add to my old Singer collection. Great find.
              April

Comment

Question about buying an antique - if you are buying it to actually sew with, what do you look for when you test it out?? Is it worth having an older machine? (other than the obvious that all the parts would be metal and not plastic ) Just curious and looking into possibly going this avenue to have a machine that is strictly straight stitch and for heavy duty fabrics! Thanks...
                And that machine is beautiful! - I just saw one on ebay that is not even an hour from me and only 10 bucks...hmmm

Comment

Wow! He is gorgeous! Lucky YOU!
                  sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Congrats on your machine! I have to say that Pfrederick is one great looking machine!
                    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
                      Question about buying an antique - if you are buying it to actually sew with, what do you look for when you test it out?? Is it worth having an older machine? (other than the obvious that all the parts would be metal and not plastic ) Just curious and looking into possibly going this avenue to have a machine that is strictly straight stitch and for heavy duty fabrics! Thanks...
                      And that machine is beautiful! - I just saw one on ebay that is not even an hour from me and only 10 bucks...hmmm
                      I really love my old machines. I think they are worth it! They are very simple, I like that I can open them up and clean and oil them myself.

I did not test sew 2 of them, they came from eBay. One was a Christmas present, my Rocketeer. My other old machine came from my stepmom. It is a Kenmore, and was filthy dirty and very neglected and now she sews like a champ!

I look at seller ratings, and what the seller mostly sells. Both my machines came from sewing machine shops, not people selling estate sale finds. I look for the description to say it has been fully tested, and adjusted, cleaned, oiled and proven to sew well.

I have been looking at Craig's list for a while now, but my area never has anything worth checking out. I like ebay because it has buyer protection, I know the most I will lose is the cost to ship it back.

I am willing to pay more for a machine that has been thoroughly gone over and has been proven to sew well. Some people LOVE to find old neglected ones and fix them up, but I do not have the knowledge to do that!

And yes I do sew with mine! My Rocketeer quickly became my #1 man for quilt piecing. He developed a thread jam issue, and I was able to find a solution very quickly-WONDERFUL forums for old machines and very helpful people! A new bobbin case, and a new needle plate, and he is sewing like a champ again! I was able to buy the parts for less than $50.

I will have to warn you though- once you get the vintage bug- you are well and truly caught!

The GOOD thing is, it has shifted my desires away from the uber expensive new machines. :-)
                      Cathryn

Comment

Beautful machine! So shiny, and glad he wants to sew pretty things! Enjoy!

Comment

That's a good looking machine, Cat!!
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

A very handsome fellow, indeed!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment