Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FMQ templates--do you use them?

Originally posted by a1angiem View Post
    Good luck - but I'm sure you won't need it! And...wow, I just LOVED using rulers! (I can't post photos here b/c they are 'too large' but you can see the results - which I think are awesome - here: Over the Kitchen Counter: Angie's Place for Cooking and Crafts: Teal Quilt

I finished a quilt on the frame yesterday (the Secret Garden quilt) using a pantograph which turned out nicely...BUT... that small quilt area DRIVES ME CRAZY! So, funny you should mention it, I have been wondering about getting an 18" and they are just a) not available anywhere close to me (in Canada) and b), just not do-able money wise ($6-7K). So I am very disappointed and wish I had a large house and a large bank account and I know I could do good things! It was a challenge even working with a 5" panto and I had to fudge the last few rows because of hitting the take up bar. Hopefully, the bumps & straight edges on a curved motif won't show too badly once I wash the quilt. I almost emailed you and gave up the whole exercise and set-up because it took me SO long to even get stitches to form. Time flies, and it's been 6 months since I did that teal quilt, and I just couldn't get the 1600's tension set. I was so frustrated I pulled the sides of the frame off and said I wouldn't use it again! (Hubby just nodded...and sure enough, I re-built it the next day and tried again! - and finished the quilt, which I had to RE-PIN since I'd pulled it all down after my hissy fit!) lol!

So I will make do for now and I do enjoy the free-motion (ie. not panto) quilting as I have more control over the quilt area. I have the Dressed to the Nines quilt to do next but not sure how i will tackle it...

Please show pics when you're done! Can't wait to see!
    Thanks so much for sharing your videos! I bought rulers and a ruler extension table for my machine. But my Pfaff has a wide base, probably about the same size as the 1600, so I could probably use a short ruler without the table like you did. OK, you've given me the courage to try something new! Thanks so much!

Do you use the Grace speed control to start and stop your machine? That is what I worry about doing, stopping to reposition the ruler.

Comment

Yes, I have always used the 'pulse' button to quilt, which gave me lots of control. I did ask the Grace Co. initially if that was ok and they said yes. This worked well for me and I preferred it over a stitch ($$$) regulator. However, while the pulse button still works, I find for long, steady quilting, like on a panto, it was dying out on me - surging and lagging enough to create nasty, uneven stitches. I forced myself to use the on/off for my panto - which was a little challenging. For ruler work though, I think it would be absolutely the only way to do it - you need that control. Keep me posted, please!

Comment

Originally posted by a1angiem View Post
        Yes, I have always used the 'pulse' button to quilt, which gave me lots of control. I did ask the Grace Co. initially if that was ok and they said yes. This worked well for me and I preferred it over a stitch ($$$) regulator. However, while the pulse button still works, I find for long, steady quilting, like on a panto, it was dying out on me - surging and lagging enough to create nasty, uneven stitches. I forced myself to use the on/off for my panto - which was a little challenging. For ruler work though, I think it would be absolutely the only way to do it - you need that control. Keep me posted, please!
        I have manual and auto ( stitch regulated), don't know what pulse would be. This is the control on the machine handles, not a Grace control. It is far enough from my fingers that I'm not sure if I could turn it off quick enough. I'll just have to experiment.

Comment

Stencils! Yes I use them all the time. Trace the design on the fabric with my frixion pen, do my FMQ then iron the spot and its beautiful.
          I get a lot of my stencils here
          The Stencil Company
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
            Stencils! Yes I use them all the time. Trace the design on the fabric with my frixion pen, do my FMQ then iron the spot and its beautiful.
            I get a lot of my stencils here
            The Stencil Company
            I'm curious as to why you iron the spot? Is it similar to setting the seam?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vickie1965 View Post
              I'm curious as to why you iron the spot? Is it similar to setting the seam?
              She marked with a friction pen which disappears when you iron it. Magic!
              Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I have predrawn mine....just use the pen lightly, because it can stain if applied too hard. I'm sure you will do just fine!
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Haha...I was reading your post and in my head was hancocks hancocks!!
                  Mary
                  SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

I have only used templates to hand quilt. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

Love what you have picked out - can wait to see and hear how it turns out! It is a gorgeous quilt top.

I had not thought of using a stencil with the long arm. Might actually get me using that thing yet. My son is home for spring break, so he is going to help me get the qbot thing setup - I sure hope it works better than my fmq skills! I know I just need to practice practice practice, but feels like I am "ruining" all of the work I put into the top with my poor quilting skills.
                      Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

40d (640x458).jpg I used a template for the hearts/feathers...I traced it on paper, pinned the paper to the quilt, and then sewed along the lines (that is, after I practiced and practiced and practiced drawing it on paper). This was my first attempt, thought they turned out okay. Bought my template at the Cincinnati National quilt festival.
                        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

What a fun thread... i find it fascinating how various people quilt... I'm interested in using stencils to do more than a simple design and my goal in life is to get a long arm machine and learn how to quilt free-style on a frame. Can't wait to see the finished project Jean!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimis-quilts View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]70739[/ATTACH] I used a template for the hearts/feathers...I traced it on paper, pinned the paper to the quilt, and then sewed along the lines (that is, after I practiced and practiced and practiced drawing it on paper). This was my first attempt, thought they turned out okay. Bought my template at the Cincinnati National quilt festival.
                            Stunning Pat... absolutely STUNNING!

Comment

Not quite up to that standard yet and only do irregular shapes that are not all identical - like feathers, swirls, bubbles or meandering. For the feathers I use a washable pen to give me a rough outline for the centre line and 'wing' the rest (sorry about the pun)

feathers.jpg
                              Jane

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Poppytree View Post
                                Not quite up to that standard yet and only do irregular shapes that are not all identical - like feathers, swirls, bubbles or meandering. For the feathers I use a washable pen to give me a rough outline for the centre line and 'wing' the rest (sorry about the pun)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70748[/ATTACH]
                                Your feathers are so pretty! Mine turned out so ugly.

Comment

Working...
                                X