FMQ templates--do you use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ templates--do you use them?

I am getting ready to quilt my triple irish chain quilt, which has a very big white block between the colored blocks. I wanted to either use an irish design ( but not screaming shamrocks) or a feather circle. I know I cannot possibly freehand quilt either design without help.

I saw a great tutorial where the quilter used a feather circle template with a water soluble pen to draw her design to quilt. I set out a couple of days ago to find such a template. 3 quilt stores, Michaels and about 50 miles of driving and I came up empty. Last night I was at Hancocks one mile from my house, and there it was, perfect size and design!

Now, wish me luck actually getting it quilted and looking right!

Here are the two patterns I'm going to try!

image.jpg

Upside down! Sorry! Some people never learn! Like moi!

Re: FMQ templates--do you use them?

They look great! Good luck!

I am sure it gonna be great!
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Swedish leo View Post
      They look great! Good luck!

I am sure it gonna be great!
      Annika, you do great with FMQing, do you use templates or predraw your designs?

Comment

are you going to do that on your frame?? omgosh, they are fantastic! PLEASE share pics when you're done. I signed up for the IC Craftsy class and can't wait to do it!

Comment

Ooo, I like it!
          Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by a1angiem View Post
            are you going to do that on your frame?? omgosh, they are fantastic! PLEASE share pics when you're done. I signed up for the IC Craftsy class and can't wait to do it!
            Yes, Angie! Wish me luck! I need to add some more border fabric on to the quilt before I can quilt it. Maybe not going to be finished for St. Patrick's Day. What would you do for the colored blocks? I haven't tried using rulers yet for straight line stitching. That would be one option. I might do the motifs on the frame and then do straight line stitching on the regular machine. Haven't decided yet.

By the way, with your talent for quilting, I think you should consider putting a longarm on your frame. You would be unstopable with that upgrade! I saw you made a comment about that the other day.

Comment

Jean, what a timely post. We've been having issues with the computer on our long-arm so Al and I both have taken Amanda Leins Craftsy course and this morning we've been practicing free-hand quilting with it. I think both of us are hooked. Of course, one day of practicing doesn't make an expert, but we are having fun and we're amazed at how easy some of the movements are. I'm encouraged.

Good luck with your templates. I may have to look into that, also.
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

They both look great! I'd love to see the tutorial
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

I really like the shamrock/heart design. I think it would look great on that quilt. That feather wreath is the one I hand quilted on my triple Irish chain. I echo quilted each of the little squares on the rest of the quilt. Five spools of hand quilting thread later ...
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                    I really like the shamrock/heart design. I think it would look great on that quilt. That feather wreath is the one I hand quilted on my triple Irish chain. I echo quilted each of the little squares on the rest of the quilt. Five spools of hand quilting thread later ...
                    Your feather circle was my inspiration. I didn't realize you had hand quilted it. It was wonderful! Not so in love with echo quilting idea on a machine! There are about 1200 squares in my quilt! Not gonna happen in my lifetime to echo around those!

The shamrock was a small template that I traced on paper, enlarged on the printer, then traced back onto template plastic. I think I will use both, strategically placed!

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      They both look great! I'd love to see the tutorial
                      Here it is!

Feather Circle Quilt Video.wmv - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                        Your feather circle was my inspiration. I didn't realize you had hand quilted it. It was wonderful! Not so in love with echo quilting idea on a machine! There are about 1200 squares in my quilt! Not gonna happen in my lifetime to echo around those!

The shamrock was a small template that I traced on paper, enlarged on the printer, then traced back onto template plastic. I think I will use both, strategically placed!
                        Haha - the one I did was a large queen size quilt! I don't even remember how many squares were in it, but echo quilting all those 2.5 inch squares was not fun at all. The callouses on my fingers were so hard I didn't need to use thimbles half way through that quilt. But it's done and it's well loved. It's traveled more than I ever have or will. Back and forth between New York and New Zealand a few times, now settled in NY.
                        K is for Karen 😊​..................
                        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                          Jean, what a timely post. We've been having issues with the computer on our long-arm so Al and I both have taken Amanda Leins Craftsy course and this morning we've been practicing free-hand quilting with it. I think both of us are hooked. Of course, one day of practicing doesn't make an expert, but we are having fun and we're amazed at how easy some of the movements are. I'm encouraged.

Good luck with your templates. I may have to look into that, also.
                          Sandy, I find a lot of joy in hand guided machine quilting. I have been seriously considering going into the computer guided machine. I do not want to be frustrated by machine issues that I cannot solve. Plus there is a certain creativity that comes from doing your own designs. There are certain things that you cannot do with a computer guided system! If I were to get a computer guided machine, I would keep my cheapie Pfaff to do that stuff that I want to do of my own designs!

I hope you and Al can have fun with this machine, to get over the frustration and dsappointment I know you've experienced SO FAR! And it's great to have someone else to share the fun with! Happy quilting!

Comment

Yes, Angie! Wish me luck! I need to add some more border fabric on to the quilt before I can quilt it. Maybe not going to be finished for St. Patrick's Day. What would you do for the colored blocks? I haven't tried using rulers yet for straight line stitching. That would be one option. I might do the motifs on the frame and then do straight line stitching on the regular machine. Haven't decided yet.

By the way, with your talent for quilting, I think you should consider putting a longarm on your frame. You would be unstopable with that upgrade! I saw you made a comment about that the other day.
                            Good luck - but I'm sure you won't need it! And...wow, I just LOVED using rulers! (I can't post photos here b/c they are 'too large' but you can see the results - which I think are awesome - here: Over the Kitchen Counter: Angie's Place for Cooking and Crafts: Teal Quilt

I finished a quilt on the frame yesterday (the Secret Garden quilt) using a pantograph which turned out nicely...BUT... that small quilt area DRIVES ME CRAZY! So, funny you should mention it, I have been wondering about getting an 18" and they are just a) not available anywhere close to me (in Canada) and b), just not do-able money wise ($6-7K). So I am very disappointed and wish I had a large house and a large bank account and I know I could do good things! It was a challenge even working with a 5" panto and I had to fudge the last few rows because of hitting the take up bar. Hopefully, the bumps & straight edges on a curved motif won't show too badly once I wash the quilt. I almost emailed you and gave up the whole exercise and set-up because it took me SO long to even get stitches to form. Time flies, and it's been 6 months since I did that teal quilt, and I just couldn't get the 1600's tension set. I was so frustrated I pulled the sides of the frame off and said I wouldn't use it again! (Hubby just nodded...and sure enough, I re-built it the next day and tried again! - and finished the quilt, which I had to RE-PIN since I'd pulled it all down after my hissy fit!) lol!

So I will make do for now and I do enjoy the free-motion (ie. not panto) quilting as I have more control over the quilt area. I have the Dressed to the Nines quilt to do next but not sure how i will tackle it...

Please show pics when you're done! Can't wait to see!

Comment

That was cool. Thanks!
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X