Old Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Quilt

I dug out this old quilt I have. It was made by an Great Aunt of mine some 40 years ago or more, not really sure. I don't use it as some of the fabric is torn or missing. I still love the quilt though. Thanks for looking.

old quilt1.jpgold quilt2.jpgold quilt3.jpg
    Barbara :icon_bigsmile:

Re: Old Quilt

That is really pretty! Can you repair those areas so you could use it?
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

It's just lovely! I love old quilts

Comment

Wonderful quilt. It is so nice to have a piece of family history. I bet every time you pull it out there are remembered moments of your past.
        sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Love the old ones. I have one too, will have to pull it out to show.
          April

Comment

How nice! It's always so special to have something made from a family member. I've inherited some handmade items from my father's side of the family and I treasure them. Yes, it's sad when they are in need of repair. We received a quilt at our wedding. I should never have washed it as much as I did since it's faded a bit, but the biggest concern is one particular fabric in the quilt has worn badly. I need to replace it but I just don't have the interest right now. Maybe down the road. There are quite a few places that need the fabric replaced so it will need to be done by hand - not fun. A lesson learned for me. Don't wash so much and if it's necessary don't wash in laundry detergent and definitely not with a machine that has an agitator. I should've just taken it outside and shaken it and hung it out to air. Also, I learned that if a piece of tulle is placed over the end of the vacuum hose an item can be vacuumed without it getting sucked up into the attachment. I think the tulle would probably hold in place if using a rubber band wound tightly around the handle where the opening to the hose is located. I haven't tried it but it sounds like a good plan.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

This is one my grandmother made back in 1980, she was in her 80's when she made it. I always thought it was a crazy quilt until I started quilting, now I see the pattern. As you can see it's not in very good shape, particularly the top part, it's not fixable so I thought I would cut off the top where it's the most ragged and just bring the backing around for the border as she did. It would still make a sizable lap quilt, the blocks are 10" with 2" sashings, so I could salvage a 58 x 58. She tied it but I wonder if I had it quilted if it would hold up better or if I would really want to alter it that much. I am planning on putting a label on it after I figure out what to do with it.

535 (565x800).jpg

537 - Copy (800x600).jpg
              Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

I think the missing/worn pieces add to the charm of the quilt. It's so wonderful that you have this.
                My friends call me Peggy
                The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

What a treasure. I just love looking at older quilts to see what fabric was used, and how it was put together.
                  HUGS,
                  Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

How wonderful that you have such a beautiful treasure... The colors are still vibrant.... Lucky you..

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Lucky you, I love old quilts.
                      Lynn R

Comment

I love your quilt too...it reminds me of my mom.
                        TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

i think the fact that a quilt has missing and worn areas tells you it was loved and used instead of placed on a shelf.i wish i had one of my mil's quilts to keep.she was the only one that crafted my mother amd gm never did.
                          :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Working...
                          X