Crinkles? Yes! Shrinkage? NOOOO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crinkles? Yes! Shrinkage? NOOOO!

I finished quilting my butterfly Irish Chain quilt yesterday. The body of the quilt looked great with small stiples around the butterflies. I tried to do feathers on the borders, not so great! I thought Karen's advice about washing and drying to make crinkles around the stitching would help. It didn't help the feathers, and the quilt shrunk about 6" in length! Before washing, it covered the mattress. After washing, not so much! Darn! I made this quilt especially for this daybed, and it will have to do, but I was not expecting this much shrinkage.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Re: Crinkles? Yes! Shrinkage? NOOOO!

Very pretty....love the butterflies. Sorry it shrank so much.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I didn't think they shrank that much either. What a shame, but....what a beautiful quilt. Love the colour.
      I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
      Lorraine

Comment

That is a great quilt. I'm so very sorry for the shrinkage. I just purchased a daybed for my spare bedroom that I'm converting into a dedicated sewing space. I want to do a quilt for the daybed, did you have a pattern or did your just start out?

Comment

I love the colors and the butterflies! Sorry about the shrinkage, this is why I was all my fabrics except pre-cuts. Just when you think nothing shrinks , bam slaps in the face with big time shrinkage.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

This quilt is beautiful. I love the butterflies. It looks perfect in its new home.
            Karen
            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Probably because of all the cuts...it's still beautiful!!
              Mary
              SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

The quilt looks great, Jean. The butterflies really stand out now that it's quilted. Sorry it shrank so much. That's a lesson I've learned the hard way. I have a Double Irish Chain quilt on my bed that fits horribly.
                Robin
                My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

That is just so pretty! I am sorry it shrank so much (but, gosh, so pretty, no one will notice). Why do you think it shrank? The fabric, the batting, the pattern, drying it? I always wash and dry my quilts before I give them away. Since most are baby or lap/twin size, I haven't noticed or measured for shrinkage.

I have a daybed too and was thinking of making a cool quilt like yours.

Comment

It is very pretty. How about adding more pillows that pick up the colors in the quilt. The pillows can cover the short edge and discuss the shrinkage
                    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I think the small stipples made it shrink more. That's a lesson for future quilting. It looked fabulous before it was washed, Ii was thinking of doing the same quilting for the triple irish chain, now I am rethinking that plan.

BobW, to make a daybed quilt, you need to make the quilt longer. This bed has an extra deep mattress, so to really fit it, the quilt needs to be almost 100" long.

Comment

It is very pretty. How about adding more pillows that pick up the colors in the quilt. The pillows can cover the short edge and disguise the shrinkage
                        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                          It is very pretty. How about adding more pillows that pick up the colors in the quilt. The pillows can cover the short edge and discuss the shrinkage
                          That's my plan! As soon as the fabric store opens, I'm going shopping!

Comment

Sorry about the shrinkage Jean, but it's still a very pretty quilt!
                            *~* Myrna *~*
                            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Ugh... that's exactly what happened to the Spiderman quilt I made my grandson. It was perfect before washing but afterwards it had shrunk about 6 inches all around. And my quilting was . Mostly sid! Bummer.....

Comment

Working...
                              X