The children's first sewing project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The children's first sewing project

My three children each did their very first sewing project today - pillows. The youngest is purple, the next youngest made the star pillow and the oldest made the monkey pillow - his ended up long because the monkeys were directional.

Children's pillows March 2014.jpg

Each one got to pick out their own fat quarter and matching thread. The oldest squared up his pillow case with the rotary cutter and I did it for the other two. They did awesome with the sewing machine - I had it set to the slowest speed possible. The children were awesome at being patient and waiting their turn for the sewing machine and for me as I was working with another child.
    The filling became interesting as two wanted to stuff their pillows as fast and large as they could. The hand sewing closed was a lesson in rethreading needles and Mom finding she needs to work with the two oldest on hand sewing. The youngest (age 7) actually did the best job of sewing her pillow closed.

I'm not sure what the next project for each of them will be. The youngest has charm packs and fabric that she picked out already. I'm sure that they will each want to do some type of quilt soon.

Re: The children's first sewing project

Great job kids! I taught my son to sew when he was little, and he also learned to do counted cross stitch. We pretty much tried all kinds of crafts, as wee enjoyed working on things together.

One thing you can do to practice hand sewing is using paper. It is a little stiffer than fabric but no so stiff that they learn they have to control it. You can start by drawing the lines on the paper and they have to follow the lines. Then work their way up to making a straight line with out the drawn lines. Or take an old cereal box and punch holes in it, then have them practice with yarn when you are not right there next to them, then you don't have to worry about the needle while they are practicing. They can still learn to follow lines using this method also.
    Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

What fun to all sew together!

Comment

I have a whole slew of pillows that my one GD has made...that and bags with pockets...I should take a pic, lol. Yours look great.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

All of them did a great job! What are their ages - or age range?

Not sure when I can start things with the youngest niece and nephew? I forget - my son is now 22 and he used to be the youngest on my side, but now my sister has 2 little ones 3 and 1.
          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

The youngest is 7 (a girl), the next one is 9 (a boy), and the oldest is 12 (a boy). The 7 year old did not have any trouble sewing. I probably could have started her at age 5. The others I could have started younger as well.

I would recommend getting the lacing activities to help them begin. The 3 year old would really an activity like that. I know that "Melissa and Doug" have some nice wooden ones. Another thing is making your own with cardboard and string.

Comment

I looked at the lacing things at Christmastime (& their birthdays, both same week as Christmas), but got other Melissa & Doug stuff - I think I should buy stock in their company - really good stuff - I bought several different things of theirs for all of the little ones on my list. I may look for the lace up things for the older ones Easter basket.
              Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

How fun! What a great mom you are getting them interested and catching the "bug" while they are still young... BRAVO!

Comment

Those are great. You are a very patient mama. I tried to help my daughter sew when she was in 4H. It didn't go very well, at all! Now she's an adult and sews up a storm. I guess the little bit she learned in one year was all she needed for later in life when she was really interest.
                  Robin
                  My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

Charyti - that is some of the most fun. I get amazed at how the girls pick out their fabric choices - I gently try to get them to pick things that really match. Out of the five girls who sew with me, the 9YO and 7YO are the most patient and careful stitchers. They love the stuffing part of pillow making, too!

Tell the kids to keep up the good work!
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Your kids did GREAT JOB's on their pillows. I think it is important to teach our kids to sew, I tought my son and daughter how to sew and they still sew to this day.
                      Lynn R

Comment

Working...
                      X