Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOM February block and first evah windmills!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOM February block and first evah windmills!

Holiday, illness and severe apathy made me very late in finishing the Sugar Block Club's February block, but good things come to those who wait, I'm told! Here it is:

Wwena BOM Feb 2014.jpg

I didn't want to be this late with the March block so I started that one too. I realised it's my first ever windmills! They are by no means perfect, but they are my very first ones. The closest I've come to windmills are the hour glasses I made a while back. I pressed those seams to the side and that created some serious bulk where the points met. I pressed these open instead and at least for me, that worked better.

First evah windmills.JPG

Putting kids to bed and hair dying (I had my first gray hair when I was 23, how's that for poor genes!?!) got in the way of me finishing the whole block tonight so these will have to do.

Thanks for looking and THANK YOU in advance for any comments and/or feedback!
    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Re: BOM February block and first evah windmills!

your February block is beautiful. your windmills look good to me. there is a way to "spin" that center intersection, but I have never done it. Pressing open helps a lot.
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

They look great. I am a bit behind too but should catch up this week
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Love the shoe in the center of your Feb block Your pinwheels are great too...

Comment

Your block is beautiful Anna...and you are way ahead of me. Just started January block last night ! Have some catching up to do. I get sidetracked on other projects way to easily. Think that means I have too many projects !
          :icon_wave: Lynn

Comment

They look great!

Elenor Burns have a great teknik for swirlig the intersection seams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3sIre7cg0

It is at 23:23 in to the video,
            sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
            The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
            A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
            And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Very nice! I like the fussy cutting on the one block w/the shoe square!
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Thanks! And it's great to hear more are working on their blocks.

Is swirling for when you've pressed to the side or is it used when you've pressed the seams open too?
                ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Here is a mini tutorial on swirling the seam that I made some time ago
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Thanks Annika!!! Very clear.

I think what I'm really asking is if pressing the seams open doesn't reduce bulk in much the same way. It's more work to press them open though, than to do the swirl. I think. Hm hm.
                    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by Wwena View Post
                      Thanks Annika!!! Very clear.

I think what I'm really asking is if pressing the seams open doesn't reduce bulk in much the same way. It's more work to press them open though, than to do the swirl. I think. Hm hm.
                      I think you only can press on set of seams open. but I might be wrong. Is a bit tired. But the swirl is easy onse you get the hang of it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice block. Love the colours, too
                        HUGS,
                        Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

I was tired too Annika... I get it now, the swirl makes so you don't have to fold the fabric, which will reduce even more bulk. I will give it a try!
                          ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Love your Block its beautiful x

Comment

Working...
                            X