Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shamrock Dreams

ShamrockDreams2.jpg

I started a series of seasonal wallhangings to learn quilting skills. They were small enough to machine quilt and I could be creative. This is my attempt at Irish Chain for March. I added the shamrocks for applique practice.

Things I learned:

1. Cutting the strips precisely is important.
    2. Squaring up the blocks helped tremendously. I will admit this was my first serious attempt to square up blocks and I was impressed. The blocks assemble much better. (I had done twister quilts before that didn't need this degree of exactness.)
    3. Decided I wasn't a big fan of variegated thread for quilting. It wasn't consistent with the color and looks a tad strange in places. I used warm and natural and it is quilted at 6 inches, so it should wash if I ever have to need to do so.
    4. I did minimal quilting on this since I wanted to display it for March and decided at the last moment to do this. Managed to make this in a week.
    5. Learned I am not yet confident enough to do outline quilting around the shamrocks. I practiced on a scrap block and it just wasn't happening.
    6. Got lots of practice appliqueing curves. I went so S-L-O-W...but I got it done.
    7. Using a design wall was helpful. BUT I need to study the design for awhile before I put it together. It seems like I make a silly mistake every time I don't spot until the quilt is finished. This time the stems on the last two rows do not match the upper rows. I did not spot this until it was displayed on my wall. I think the whole problem is I tried to cut the shamrock two at a time and the stem went the opposite direction of the folded fabric. Will cut things one at a time from now on.
    8. I enjoyed making the Irish Chain and want to make a larger version. I had a hard time getting started, but after I got going it was better.
    9. I need to do the math better....I miscounted the rows...I really need two more rows so it won't be square...That is the reason I added the larger green at bottom and top.

Have a great March!
    Last edited by Lightwriter; March 1, 2014, 10:14 AM. Reason: Correct error
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Re: Shamrock Dreams

Great job! Your appliqué looks wonderful.
    sigpicAnita G.

Comment

That is adorable and so festive! I can appreciate some of your lessons learned, as I have learned them myself, or at least done them

Comment

very very cute

Comment

That looks wonderful! Feels good to write down what you've learned I bet.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I really like that. Very cute. Good job!

Comment

This is really cute........you did a great job! I like reading what people learn while working on a project........I think it helps all of us learn more. Sometimes taking a picture of the layout and studying the picture can help you spot if something is out of place.......or which layout you like best.

Very cute quilt........love the applique!
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! ERIN GO BRAGH! NICE JOB.

Comment

I love it.

Comment

I love this. What a great idea to put shamrocks in an irish chain. Awesome.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

very nice! I like it a lot!
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

That is so neat. When I started quilting again 2 years ago, I thought I would make a quilt for every hoiliday/season. Now, two years later... I just finished the chirstmas quilt last December! Then I thought, for heaven sake, I am in southern california...we dont' need quilts most of the year..why stress about it! So I am just going to make a few to have around and forget the season!
                        Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Perfect quilt for March. I like your borders. I do that too, because I like more length on my quilts. I dont think borders have to match exactly
                          Karen
                          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I LOVE your quilt! I'm in love with the Irish chain myself! Love your shamrock appliques,

Comment

I think you did a fabulous job! Every quilt we do teaches us something... glad you are learning new skills along the way!

Comment

Working...
                              X