X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What got me started?

Well, I suppose it was this:

Capture.JPG
    I was practising on my new embroidery machine and this was the first thing that came out right. I'd recently made my grandchildren some clothes, a pair of trousers, shirt and jacket for my 4 year old grandson Aidan, and this dress and shrug for my 6 year old granddaughter, Mia.

Mia's Dress.jpg

Anyway, as the dress has cherries on it and I had some fabric left, I wondered what I could make with it and use the embroidered cherries as well. I came up with the idea of a pillow case. I don't know what made me think of quilting, probably something I'd seen on the internet, but anyway, that's what I wanted to do. So, I made her this:

Mia's-Pillow-Case.jpgMia's-Pillow-Case2.jpgMia's-Pillow-Case3.jpg

It's far from perfect but it was the first time I'd done anything like it and I was really pleased with it. Then I thought, I can't make for one and not the other, and as I'd enjoyed the simple quilting on this, I thought I'd make a simple lap quilt for Aidan which was also special to him. So this was it. (They're visiting tomorrow, so hope they like them).

Aidan's-Lap-Quilt.jpgAidan's-Lap-Quilt2.jpgAidan's-Lap-Quilt3.jpg

So, they're the things that got me started...........and hooked.

I am now making myself a full size bed quilt and I've jumped in with both feet as some of you will have seen from my wonky thread. I chose and bought my fabric and looked at patterns and decided that I liked the tangled star, so I made this:

Tangled-Star.jpg

Not bad for a first attempt, but the more I looked at it, the more I thought that it was 'too much'. A full size quilt in just this fabric and pattern, nah! went off the idea and thought then that I'd do a sampler and introduce some pale fabric. This works for me and this is where I'm at right now.

Progress-28th-Feb-2014.jpg

I am finding some of it a bit difficult, but then, I enjoy a challenge although I think maybe I'll need a small break ffrom this and work on something a bit simpler, lol.

So there you are. How I got hooked from a bunch of cherries.
    Last edited by LorraineRob; February 28, 2014, 04:07 PM.
    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
    Lorraine

Re: What got me started?

I love all the blocks, the tangled star is my favorite.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

I do believe, Lorraine, that you are a natural. Love the blocks you've been doing.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

It all looks gorgeous to me and I've sure the grands are just going to love it!! Love the blocks, too. The tangled star is wonderful.
        Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

Do you have a pattern for the tangled star, I've looked high and low for one?
          Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Wow, beautiful work! I love the idea of putting your grandson's favorite things on the pillowcase... what a wonderful keepsake

Comment

Wow, what beautiful treasures for the kids. You certainly have a natural talent for creativity. Thanks for sharing your lovely work.

Comment

I love the cherries. I have always had a fondness for cherries on a white background. Reminds me of a dress I had as a little girl.
                Hugs,
                Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Those are some challenging blocks for a beginner. Bravo!! They turned out beautiful.
                  You were born to quilt!!!
                  May the road rise up to meet you...
                  May the wind be always at your back...
                  May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                  Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

As my mother would have said, Yipe mosquiter-bite! Those are all gorgeous! Love them all. Thanks for sharing - can't wait to see more of your handiwork.

Comment

Wow!!! You did amazing work. Those blocks look like you are a pro at quilting. I can't wait to see what other projects you come up with. You've got some lucky grandchildren who are blessed to have an amazing grandma like you.

Comment

those are beautiful blocks it will be a beautiful sampler.
                        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

This quilt will be amazing!!
                          PS I love cherries too! They are such a lovely design on so many things n

Comment

Awwwww, thank you for those lovely comments. Leah, it's in EQ but if I can figure a way to get it out, I'll pm you.
                            I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                            Lorraine

Comment

Working...
                            X