X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• happygram
    replied
    Re: My square in a square needs your suggestions

The gorgeous fabric and beautiful, simple design are, to me, the "stars" of the quilt. I agree with the suggestions to echo quilt and, when you're finished, feel free to mail it to me!

Could you tell the lovely fabrics you used?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Mpyles
    replied

Very nice!!

Leave a comment:

• mallorypm
    replied

That's what I would say too, use the echo quilting BUT make sure you use low loft poly batting if you are quilting by hand.

Leave a comment:

• LorraineRob
    replied

Well, I can't help with the quilting 'cause I'm a newbie but have to say how utterly gorgeous that top is. The colours are fabulous.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

I wouldn't waste hand quilting on SITD. I would keep it simple and stitch a single line through the center of your white sashing and in the printed strips around each square. Then I would stitch an X in the center of each center square and diagonal crosshatching on the borders.

Leave a comment:

• RiverMomm
    replied

Love, love, love this quilt! The fabric is perfect with the design. I can't wait to see what you decide. Since I don't know how to FM quilt or hand quilt, I would end up with SITD. I am not sure what echo quilting is but I think its where you stitch a quarter inch away from the seam instead of directly on the seam as you would with SITD.

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    replied

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. Now to make decisions.

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

I would cross hatch the outer squares, leaving the white sashing alone. Depending on the recipient of the quilt, I'd quilt a flower or star or something in the centers of the inner square. I'd also cross hatch the border.

Leave a comment:

• Lenie
    replied

I love this, Monique! Don't know how you could quilt it, but I know you're gonna make it a beautiful quilt.

Leave a comment:

• lilmouse
    replied

Echo quilting for the squares and a simple vine pattern for the borders...I only do primitive stitching but that is what I am planning on doing on my "Chloe's Closet" quilt when I complete it.

Leave a comment:

• Nidan_07
    replied

Hi Monique,

Whatever you decide, this a lovely quilt. If you are confident quilting straight lines with a walking foot, then I would suggest some sitd for blocks and perhaps cross hatching for borders??

Leave a comment:

• SallyO'Sews
    replied

Monique, this is gorgeous. I would stitch 1/4 inch inside the smallest squares and outside the sashing. I think there's a name for it, but I have no idea what it is.

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Monique, that turned out wonderfully. I personally think the gender of the quilt would dictate how I would quilt it. If it were for a female, I would quilt a rounded pattern in the middle square, then echo quilt the rest. If it is masculine or for what ever, I think I would echo quilt the squares on the inside, and then again on the outer square. This quilt would even look stunning with a diagonal grid quilting. I am sure what ever you do will be wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• turena65
    replied

I don't have an opinion on the quilting, but I just have to say that I LOVE THIS QUILT! I love the fabrics, colours, design... beautifully done!

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

I love it. You are one step ahead of me I don't have a clue how to post a picture! But I am a hand quilter. I would just do an X inside each center square. For the border I would do a vine or a scallop using my eleanore burns quilt in a day vines and scallops ruler. If you don't have one, you need to get it. I use it all the time. Takes the math and guesswork out of figuring size for repeats. I also liked somebody else's suggestion of doing a flower. That would be a nice contrast to all the geometric shapes you have going. Good luck and please post your finished project.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X