My square in a square needs your suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My square in a square needs your suggestions

I thought of echo quilting as well. 1/4" inside the seams on the colored fabrics. You probably wouldn't have to do it on the white, unless you felt it wasn't close enough together. Echo quilting follows the design of the pattern and seam lines.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Echo quilting is used a lot in Hawaiian quilts. Yours is really pretty!

echo.jpg
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I am a hand quilter and would stid with cross hatch in the middle of the small square. Good luck!! That's a lot of quilting!!!

Comment

I love it. You are one step ahead of me I don't have a clue how to post a picture! But I am a hand quilter. I would just do an X inside each center square. For the border I would do a vine or a scallop using my eleanore burns quilt in a day vines and scallops ruler. If you don't have one, you need to get it. I use it all the time. Takes the math and guesswork out of figuring size for repeats. I also liked somebody else's suggestion of doing a flower. That would be a nice contrast to all the geometric shapes you have going. Good luck and please post your finished project.

Comment

I don't have an opinion on the quilting, but I just have to say that I LOVE THIS QUILT! I love the fabrics, colours, design... beautifully done!

Comment

Monique, that turned out wonderfully. I personally think the gender of the quilt would dictate how I would quilt it. If it were for a female, I would quilt a rounded pattern in the middle square, then echo quilt the rest. If it is masculine or for what ever, I think I would echo quilt the squares on the inside, and then again on the outer square. This quilt would even look stunning with a diagonal grid quilting. I am sure what ever you do will be wonderful.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

Monique, this is gorgeous. I would stitch 1/4 inch inside the smallest squares and outside the sashing. I think there's a name for it, but I have no idea what it is.

Comment

Hi Monique,

Whatever you decide, this a lovely quilt. If you are confident quilting straight lines with a walking foot, then I would suggest some sitd for blocks and perhaps cross hatching for borders??
                  HUGS,
                  Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

Echo quilting for the squares and a simple vine pattern for the borders...I only do primitive stitching but that is what I am planning on doing on my "Chloe's Closet" quilt when I complete it.

Comment

I love this, Monique! Don't know how you could quilt it, but I know you're gonna make it a beautiful quilt.

Comment

I would cross hatch the outer squares, leaving the white sashing alone. Depending on the recipient of the quilt, I'd quilt a flower or star or something in the centers of the inner square. I'd also cross hatch the border.

Comment

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. Now to make decisions.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Love, love, love this quilt! The fabric is perfect with the design. I can't wait to see what you decide. Since I don't know how to FM quilt or hand quilt, I would end up with SITD. I am not sure what echo quilting is but I think its where you stitch a quarter inch away from the seam instead of directly on the seam as you would with SITD.

Comment

I wouldn't waste hand quilting on SITD. I would keep it simple and stitch a single line through the center of your white sashing and in the printed strips around each square. Then I would stitch an X in the center of each center square and diagonal crosshatching on the borders.
                              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Well, I can't help with the quilting 'cause I'm a newbie but have to say how utterly gorgeous that top is. The colours are fabulous.
                                I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                                Lorraine

Comment

Working...
                                X