Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought more fabric than I can ever use + old blocks....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought more fabric than I can ever use + old blocks....

Yesterday Jan and I went out to pick up fabric I bought online......I don't know how it is called in the USA, but we have a site in the Netherlands where you can put your old stuff that you no longer want and sell it.
    I saw an add that said.......large amout of fabric..... so I emailed the guy and I told him I would come and pick it up....
    When Jan and I came to their place it was a VERY large amount of fabric, all colorcodes and nice folded....
    Their job was, the guy told me, to empty homes from people how died or moved into nursinghomes etc. this fabric came from a man who's wife had passed away and she was a wonderful talented quilter.....I had seen on the picture in the add she was a quilter because all the colors were organized, but I had no idea she had this much.....
    Well I was happy and we started loading the car, it just fit......it is hunderds of kilo's fabric.
    I stated unpacking a little bit, the rest I will go through over the weekend, but some bags I found thread, and other quilting stuff, and blocks.....
    There are 13 handpieced blocks for a sampler quilt, very pretty, and a antique looking wallhanging with flying geese......I love it. There is also a handpieced hexagon tabletopper almost done....and there is maybe more, because the boxes I did not go through, I have put my iron next to the box...,,that is how large the box is. Jan can not lift that box, way to heavy, the huge plastic container has wheels....it is more than the pictuers show, no idea what to do with this much
    Now I have to find a way to store this, it is clean and folded, there is a ton of fabric for backing, those I will laundry...

What can I do with the blocks, they are dirty and the wallhanging had pins wich had been rusty.......
    I would love to track that man down and finish a project to give back to him.

Please help me out, what to do with antique blocks and quilts, can I wash the blocks???

Here are a ton of picttures.......
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Klasien; February 21, 2014, 02:23 AM.
    It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

www.memoryquiltsbyklasien.nl

Re: I bought more fabric than I can ever use + old blocks....

Wow Klasien, Wonderful treasure.

Marion

Comment

Klaisen,
      this is the motherlode!
      I would be careful with the flying geese because it looks as if it has been quilted and you will have to inspect the batting to make sure it is not going to fall apart.
      The blocks look decent shape.
      Others will give their more expert opinions but I would soak in a gentle soapy water bath and not scrub a lot. Just rinse gently and if needed back into another gentle soap tub. Air dry.
      The rest of the fabric, depending on how it was stored may need a cold wash on gentle cycle. I know from experience that some of the fabric given to me over the years has dry rotted and you may not be aware of how the threads will hold up until they are washed.

Have Fun! Talk about scrappy heaven! I am swooning.
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Wow!!!! that is fantastic, sweetie! I love those kinds of finds! Just let your creative juices start flowing and I am sure you will create some wonderful things....post as you go along!
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

wow! I am super jealous! It is in good hands now!
          :icon_wave:

Have a wonderful day!

Friend me on Facebook under Kelly Howell Faulconer

Comment

SCORE!!!! That is wonderful!

This is how I have washed anything that was already pieced, but not quilted (or small pieces of fabric):

find a plastic container (like Tupperware or Rubbermaid with a good sealing lid). Place enough water to cover the fabric you want to wash and then add a few drops of a mild detergent and mix. I then carefully submerge the fabric into the water and let sit for a few minutes. Then gently shake or swirl the container back and forth for a minute or two. Pour out the dirty water and rinse gently, lay flat to dry. If they are very dirty, you may have to repeat. I have never used color catchers in this way, but I don't know why you couldn't if you were concerned about the colors bleeding.

I would love to find a stash like that! If you need ideas for scrap quilts check out Bonnie Hunters blog at quiltville.com.

Have Fun!!!
            Donna

Comment

Wow! How lucky you are I makes me feel good to see this fabric will be used as it was intended instead of someone foolishly tossing it in the dumpster. As most people would have...You go girl!!

Comment

WOW did you hit the motherload for sure. Good luck with all that fabric.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I'm thrilled or you, Klasien! I love the blue blocks and the hexie quilt...so pretty.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

What a great haul!! I am getting anxious for good weather so people will start having garage sales again and I can find some good deals again.
                    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Wow, that will be a storage challenge for sure! But lots of cheap fun using it to create stuff!

Comment

That's what I would call Holy Macaroni and Cheese!
                        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Score! That's an amazing find. Enjoy
                          Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

How wonderful that this lady's treasured stash and projects will be used by someone who truly appreciates them. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                              That's what I would call Holy Macaroni and Cheese!
                              Sandy, I had never heard that expression until the other day. I was driving my grandson, Jordan( he is 5), home and we saw a man on his front porch roof removing snow and Jordan wanted to know how the man got up there. I told him he just had to climb out the window. Jordan preceded to yell out "HOLY MACARONI AND CHEESE". I had never heard him say that before. I thought he made it up. I was cracking up.

Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X