Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has been way too long...

Hi there ladies...
    It has been way too long since I've been on here. I have been working on a quilt top for a very long time. I would do a bunch of blocks and get tired of that, so I would put it away and work on something else for a while. Then go back to the other one again. This one is actually for my bed. So I was not in any hurry to get it done. Wanted it to turn out nice. So, finally I got all the blocks done last spring, but once again had to take a break from it. This past week I finally got the top all put together. Now I just have to put a border on it.

I am very nervous about putting the border on though. I have been having trouble with borders. (have a question on one of the other forums about that.) Seems like my borders are always wavy, and I don't want that to happen with this one.

Anyway, thought I would share what I have done so far...Hope you like it.

Thanks for listening...(reading)

Carol
    Attached Files

Re: Has been way too long...

My advice is to measure the sides, and many say to measure through the center also, then make the border piece the average length of all three of those measurements. Ease in extra length as you stitch. Just make sure the borders on opposite sides are the same length. I pin in quarters, then in between the quarters and ease as I go. I've had much better luck with my borders since I have been doing this.

Your quilt is just gorgeous! Good luck with the borders!

Comment

Beautiful quilt - very good color combinations
      Preeti
      http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

When you sew the border on, make sure THAT material is on top, don't pull on the quilt as you go, let the feed dogs move it along. Hope that helps.
        Now...that is one beautiful quilt! Is that Jenny's "Big Star" pattern?? Absolutely love it!!!! Great job!
        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Beautiful. I don't blame you for wanting to take your time and get it as perfect as you would be happy with.It looks like you put a lot of time into it. I know it will be just as beautiful when your are done.
          sigpic
          Hugs Ann

Comment

I love your quilt to...you did a really nice job on it. I measure my quilt tops through the center lengthwise and cut the lengthwise borders that long. Find the center point on the edge of your quilt and the center of your border and pin at that point and work out toward each end pinning all the way. Stitch and press your seam toward the border. Then measure your quilt through the center widthwise and repeat as above. I do my borders like this all the time and it always works. It's takes some time and a little patience but I get good results. I lay my quilt tops on our king bed when I measure. My days of crawling around on the floor on hands and knees are over!
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

What a stunning quilt top, I do borders like Jean said and that works for me.
              Be sure to post pictures with the borders on, can't wait to see the final result!!!
              It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

www.memoryquiltsbyklasien.nl

Comment

Beautiful quilt!

Comment

Love, love, love, this big star quilt! I will be making one for our DS and DIL for Christmas... it looks like a lot of work

Comment

When machine sewing the border on, I always use my "walking foot".. pin, pin, pin...

Hope this helps... that is one beautiful quilt!!
                    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                    :icon_wave:

Comment

Very nicely done! Looking forward to seeing it when it's finished.

I'm very grateful for all the advice on here too!
                      sigpic

Comment

Looks great! Do what Jean says!
                        Happy Quilting!

Comment

Wow, your quilt is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
                          May your day be blessed. :icon_wave:

Shea Michelle

Comment

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments on my quilt top. And a big thanks for the border tips....I will keep you all posted on how it goes for sure.
                            I actually would like to make the border scallops on three sides...lol...I know, crazy....but I think if I can get the borders on right without any waves, then I could scallop them. I have watched a few videos on this. I think I understand it. Has anyone done a scalloped border? Do you put the border on...do the quilting and then cut the scallops and then bind???? Not sure if that is right, but makes sense to me...
                            Once again thanks for all the feed back...love this place

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                              ...My days of crawling around on the floor on hands and knees are over!
                              I totally agree with you on this Bubby...last queen sized quilt I laid out on the floor to pin, I groaned and griped the whole time...Carl was sitting in his chair watching me...next thing I knew he had order me a ping pong table for me to pin quilts on. I have to say it is a wonderful addition to my sewing room.
                              LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X