My 1st quilt in progress - Double Slice Layer Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1st quilt in progress - Double Slice Layer Cake

I got the squares done. I lined them up on the table for placement. I am still moving squares around. This gives a general idea. I have not sewn the squares together yet. I had to cut squares and sew them together and then cut again and sew them together. It is a busy pattern but fun. It is whimsical unlike my house but I saw these layer cake squares on sale at the local quilt shop and loved the color combination. The picture does not do the pattern or the color justice. It took on more of a yellow hue in the picture than it does in person. I still have to figure out what border to use and then after I sew the square together in rows I have to put the batting and backing on and then I have to figure out how to quilt stitch. I have never done it before.

I keep seeing things I need to switch. I need to switch those two next to the one on the far right corner, first row. Not sure. Those stripes will throw me.

Fabric is Swiss Chocolate - Layer Cake (40 pieces)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HollyinWA; February 16, 2014, 09:54 PM.

Re: My 1st quilt in progress - Double Slice Layer Cake

I love the way you are putting this together. Isn't this fun.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

It looks really pretty. You have the colors nicely spaced through the top. Great job.
      sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyWhite View Post
        I love the way you are putting this together. Isn't this fun.
        Thank you! Yes, is sure is fun! I am not sure how I am going to do with the quilting part. I have never done any kind of quilting stiches before. I better get to practicing. I do not want to so anything on this when it is ready to be quilted until I know a little bit of what I am doing.

Comment

Originally posted by MomGram View Post
          It looks really pretty. You have the colors nicely spaced through the top. Great job.
          Thank you! I am still moving things around just a bit but I will finally settle.

Comment

Love it.... It really us hard not go over think block placement... I've been there and done that for sure... You finally just have to say that's it!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

That is one of the best parts of this kind of quilt. figuring out placement. Looks like you are doing a great job.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

You are doing a fine job.

I drive myself crazy with block placement. I do find a black and white photo helps me see the why some of the blocks are bugging me that I don't even understand they are bugging me until I see them in black and white.

Comment

I love the Double Slice and I'm sewing ours together right now too. A great way to see how the balance of your colors are working is to take a picture and look at it on your computer. I catch lots of 'switches' that way. your DS is looking really good. I love the fabric and the colors.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Very pretty Love the fabric.
                    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Thank you everyone! Still not settled on the square placement but getting close! I have to decide on the border and backing. I do not believe they have these prints anymore other than the jelly roll, so not sure if it is going to be easy finding the right border. I almost thought about making two smaller quilts with these. This is going to be a pretty big quilt. My daughter said she likes big because we are tall in this family. Thing is, I am afraid of the dogs ruining it! Our dogs (or actually just the Pug now..other two are older and do not like to jump on the beds anymore) likes to sleep in our bed and also all of our dogs get up on the couch.

Comment

I always find this part challenging and fun! I love to take photos with my cell phone so I can 'stand back' and see where I need to change things.
                        Your arrangement looks great!
                        sigpic

~Sew Sincerely~
                        ♥ Sheriann ♥

Comment

I moved my blocks around many times on the two DDs that I made, took pictures and finally decided that the placement was ok. Now that the two quilts are finished they look fine, but there are still a few blocks that I thought I had moved. I think a person could drive themselves crazy with this part of it, so don't over think it.
                          :icon_wave: Linda
                          "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Your quilt is coming together nicely. Placement is my biggest hurdle too. I made a Double Slice quilt top (yet to be quilted) and I think I took more time with the layout than cutting and sewing the blocks.
                            *~* Myrna *~*
                            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Originally posted by Lindagie View Post
                              I moved my blocks around many times on the two DDs that I made, took pictures and finally decided that the placement was ok. Now that the two quilts are finished they look fine, but there are still a few blocks that I thought I had moved. I think a person could drive themselves crazy with this part of it, so don't over think it.
                              I have always struggled with undoing and redoing to make it near-perfect (because nothing will ever be perfect) or just keep moving on, hoping no one will notice my mistakes and I will eventually improve with practice. Don't overthink it - is a great mantra. You are doing a terrific job.
                              Preeti
                              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X