Another First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another First

After the surprisingly good first spiral I quilted yesterday, I decided to tackle another "first".....binding by machine! I normally machine stitch on the front then hand sew on the back. I like hand sewing as it's calming, relaxing and I can focus on what I'm watching on netflix at the moment. However, for this scrappy pillow I decided to just go for it. I've never used binding on a pillow before so this, too, was a first. I won't post a close up as there are some blinding mistakes...and I don't wish bad vision on anyone who loves to sew

I will just say that for those of you who have mastered machine binding you have my complete RESPECT! How you get the bottom stitches in the ditch on the back is beyond me. There are places in the ditch, just outside the ditch, visibly seen away from the ditch...I'm just glad I had a light background and used white thread. lolol Still, if nothing else, this little pillow of mine will be a constant reminder that I shouldn't take sewing too seriously

scrappy cuzco pillow.jpg

Re: Another First

I'm with you! I tried the machine binding technique but I had the same problem. To go through all the work of making the quilt and then finish off with a less than perfect binding doesn't work for me. I'll stick to the old-fashioned way.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Your pillow came out beautiful. I usually sew the front on the machine first then sew the back by hand. Haven't tried both sides on the machine yet, just afraid I will mess it up and have to rip it out.
      sigpic
      Hugs Ann

Comment

When I do the whole binding thing on the machine I use a serpentine stitch to do the final sewing down on the top and it looks deliberate and is perfect for a kids quilt. You can't tell that it might wobble a little and it is super strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
          When I do the whole binding thing on the machine I use a serpentine stitch to do the final sewing down on the top and it looks deliberate and is perfect for a kids quilt. You can't tell that it might wobble a little and it is super strong.
          If I try this again I will use a small decorative stitch. That 's a great idea, Claire!

Comment

Working...
          X