Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Grammies of little girly girls, check this out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Grammies of little girly girls, check this out!

image.jpg
    RUFFLER ATTACHMENT FOR LOW SHANK MACHINES
    I had seen these before, I always thought they looked like an instrument of torture! I know we had one in our house at one time, probably to go with my mom's machine. But I had never used one! My costuming buddy uses hers for costume ruffles, and I was very interested in acquiring one. When I bought my new machine last week, I priced one for that machine, almost $200! No way, Jose! I found this one for a regular low shank machine for under $17 at Hancock and love how easy it was to make the ruffles for my pillow sham!

You grammies who make ruffled outfits and pillows for your girly girls, I highly recommend this. Mine came with no directions, the smaller your stitch, the tighter the gathers. It can also do pleating as well as gathers. Fun tool!

Ruby, this one's for you and Miss Penney Lane!

Re: For Grammies of little girly girls, check this out!

I have one that my Mother left me!! It works on all my Singers. Score!!!
    Just have to keep it cleaned and oiled lightly. the moving parts are so much fun to watch.. (little things fascinate me.)

AND I forgot ..... the peddle vintage singer has one too!!! I haven't tried it out as yet. Thanks for the reminder .

my power tool.jpg
    Last edited by Granny Judy; February 11, 2014, 06:56 AM. Reason: additional info
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

I have one for my singer featherweight but have never used it!
      Need to play with it!
      Happy Quilting!

Comment

i have one also, and i say,,,,,so thats what that little thingamagigger is for, lol,,,,,,,learn something new every day, thank you
        ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

You're right. It does look like an instrument of torture! I have one for Mom's Featherweight, but I have yet to give it a try.
          Natalie (16 months) loves to wear her pink tutu everyday. Maybe it's time to expand her wardrobe!
          I really need to get off the exclamation point.
          It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

My mom had some strange looking attachments for her machine. I may look at them again and see if one looks like this. HM!
            :icon_wave: Linda
            "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Yes I can attest to having one of those. Just never used it before.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I just completed a curtain for my bedroom window using a ruffler attachment. It sure does do the job. I've never figured out how to get it so I'm just ruffling the exact amount I need. I just cut off the excess, take out some of the stitches and then turn in the ends. That works for me. Much easier than ruffling by hand. Zigzaging over dental floss worked really well but then I would still have to deal with the spacing when attaching it. One piece of advice - if you are doubling over a strip of fabric to make your ruffle (I prefer that rather than hemming the ruffle) I highly recommend setting your machine to your longest stitch length and machine basting the edges together. It will save you a lot of cursing as you run the fabric through the ruffler. I often try to skip that step. I end up getting very frustrated because it doesn't feed properly. Then I end up doing what I should've done to begin with. Just machine basting the edges together makes the job super easy. Also, sew strips together the same way we do it for quilt binding and press the seams open. If you don't do this step you'll have trouble getting the fabric to feed properly. Trust me. I've had a fair amount of experience with the ruffler attachment.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thank you Miss Jean! I'm so getting one of these for one of my machines, hopefully for my Isadore but she only likes real Brother parts. If it's too expensive I'll get if for my Singer, she isn't picky. lol
                  sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                    I just completed a curtain for my bedroom window using a ruffler attachment. It sure does do the job. I've never figured out how to get it so I'm just ruffling the exact amount I need. I just cut off the excess, take out some of the stitches and then turn in the ends. That works for me. Much easier than ruffling by hand. Zigzaging over dental floss worked really well but then I would still have to deal with the spacing when attaching it. One piece of advice - if you are doubling over a strip of fabric to make your ruffle (I prefer that rather than hemming the ruffle) I highly recommend setting your machine to your longest stitch length and machine basting the edges together. It will save you a lot of cursing as you run the fabric through the ruffler. I often try to skip that step. I end up getting very frustrated because it doesn't feed properly. Then I end up doing what I should've done to begin with. Just machine basting the edges together makes the job super easy. Also, sew strips together the same way we do it for quilt binding and press the seams open. If you don't do this step you'll have trouble getting the fabric to feed properly. Trust me. I've had a fair amount of experience with the ruffler attachment.
                    Excellent advice! Thanks Rebecca!

I have never been able to figure out exact amounts either. no mater though, it IS still easier than ruffling by hand! Oooo I used to hate that process!!

I JUST got a ruffler for my Pfaffs, and I am pretty sure my Singer 503 came with one too.

Now I want to go make ruffles!
                    Cathryn

Comment

Rebecca and Cathryn, I think that is the reason I haven't used a ruffler in the past, because it is not that precise. I've done the dental floss thing over zig zag when making full costume skirts from heavy fabric. If I were going to use this on a regular basis, i'd use it when I have extra fabric to put into the rufflr to make its length match the length of where I am applying it! Would be great for adding ruffle embellishments, maybe not for waistbands. Also we narrow roll hemmed both edges of the ruffle and then did a top stitch application as a row upon row of ruffles.

Rebecca, so true about joining seams, amen to that!

Comment

I actually have one but haven't tried to use it yet lol. I will though
                        Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                          Rebecca and Cathryn, I think that is the reason I haven't used a ruffler in the past, because it is not that precise. I've done the dental floss thing over zig zag when making full costume skirts from heavy fabric. If I were going to use this on a regular basis, i'd use it when I have extra fabric to put into the rufflr to make its length match the length of where I am applying it! Would be great for adding ruffle embellishments, maybe not for waistbands. Also we narrow roll hemmed both edges of the ruffle and then did a top stitch application as a row upon row of ruffles.
                          I agree Jean, not enough precision to really make a garment from a pattern, but great for embellishments or simple skirts where you can work with pre-made ruffly parts.
                          Cathryn

Comment

Working...
                          X