My Daddy's Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Daddy's Quilt

After my father passed away, my mom in her grief took all of his shirts and carefully cut each of them up. She made quilts for my sister and my two brothers, and myself, out of the fabric. Each is a little different, This is a picture of mine. The purple is not a shirt it is my favorite color. My dad was a sport fisherman. He loved fishing, hense the fishy backing. I really had a hard time losing him because my dad was my anchor. My mom knew that, that is why there is a small anchor. See the signature on the back, my dad wore white uniform shirts for much of my childhood. I remember him in those most. So this is the pocket I recieved. In it was a small pack of kleenex, a Werther's Butterscotch, and a pack of Wrigley's Dublemint gum. These were items we would always find in his pockets.
    If my house was on fire and I could grab just one thing, (other than my children) I would grab this quilt.
    The creation of these quilts was very therapeutic for my mom, and a way for us to keep a piece of our dad after he went onto his heavenly reward.
    Just wanted to share.
    photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG
    Dayna

Re: My Daddy's Quilt

I'm sorry your Dad has passed on, but what a beautiful thing your mother did for you and your siblings.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

So, so lovely.
      I lost it with the Double mint gum...
      Hold this close to your heart always, chica!
      I really need to get off the exclamation point.
      It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

That is really wonderful. I have made those kinds of quilts too. They really mean so much to those who receive them.

Comment

That is so happy, yet sad! Sorry about your dad, I miss mine daily too. My niece took all his shirts and said she would make quilts for her mom and I. It's been ten years and still no quilts. I may have to see if she even still has them.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Beautiful way to hold on to memories. I am in the middle of making quilts for my 2 kids and my sisters from my Dads shirts. It has been a slow process (he has been gone 1 year at Christmas), but sometimes when it is overwhelmimg I stop. Your Mom made yours so special and I agree, except for the kids I would snatch the quilt first. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Dayna,
              I am making quilts like this for each one of my 4 kids and my MIL. My DH Terry passed away in 2002, and I saved all of his shirts and blue jeans ....
              Let me explain that he used to go to my sister's restaurant on the week-ends and pour coffee for the customers and roll silverware ( roll silverware into napkins ) for her. When he went to the restaurant he would always wear a pair of Docker pants and a dress shirt along with a tie. The ties got to be quite a conversation piece, as Terry had a lot of different style ties, some were Disney Ties, a smiley face tie, an American Flag tie, etc. ( you get the picture ) ......customers would come in every week-end to see what "Tie" Terry had on.....
              Anyway, I made a template that is in the shape of a man's tie......and I am slowly cutting the shirts into these "tie" shapes.

I am going to put a jeans pocket on the back of ( at the bottom ) with a couple of photos of each child too..... Each quilt is a different color.
              I can't wait to finish them.....it has taken me quite awhile to just start "cutting " the fabric for these quilts....for a long time I wouldn't even ( I couldn't ) go near the boxes of his clothing. When I finally "opened" the boxes, the smell of him from his clothes was over-powering....I love the after-shave he wore.

I loved the photo of your quilt......and I don't blame you about saving that quilt. Even today, if I had ten seconds to grab something out of my house if it were on fire, it would be my packed away wedding dress !!!

Many years ago, I started saving my absolute favorite photo negatives from different favorite photos I have taken over the years. I am also going to put a couple of photos of Terry & child on each quilt.
              I saved my favorite "negatives " and keep them in my safety deposit box at the bank. Thus, if we ever had a fire, I could replace my photos. ( this happened to a friend of mine years ago, and I was able to help her replace a lot of photos she lost in a house fire, thus this was my "idea' to save my own photos ! )

One more thing I do.....I make a copy of everything in my wallet every couple of years. I go to a copier, lay out all the cards etc. in my wallet, make a copy, then turn the cards over and make a copy of the other side......IF your wallet is ever stolen, could you remember ALL the cards AND the numbers on the cards ? I think not ......

Thanks for this Dayna.....what a precious keepsake !
              Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
              http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dad, what a beautiful memory quilt... i don't blame you for wanting to keep safe that precious memory...

Comment

That is so wonderful. Thank you for sharing this story and the picture of a great quilt.

Comment

What a beautiful memory your mother gave to all oF you.
                    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt and your beautiful story. What a treasure!

Comment

Sorry about the loss of your dad. What a precious memory for you to have this quilt. It will bring you a lot of comfort.
                        Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

Beautiful quilt! Love the story behind it - I got teary eyed. I miss my dad so much, too! I did pillows out of my dad's shirts - for us, he always had to have a pocket on his shirt, so I made sure each pillow had a pocket. The hardest part was the first cut - took me a long time to do that first cut. I still have the remainders of those shirts and I want to make a string quilt or 2 from them. There are 4 of us kids and Mom - don't think I can get 5 quilts out of the fabric I have left, but maybe I will just do one for Mom.
                          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Working...
                          X