Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

only been quilting for a year and made this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only been quilting for a year and made this.

QuiltKit.jpg (not my photo) but shows the quilt I'm making, different colours
    but please keep in mind I have only been quilting for about a year and do not have all the equipment yet
    what would you lady's advise me to get as the basic's ( the must have's)
    and what do you lady's do with all the left over fabric and I have so much now I have made
    3 quilts (not from kits) and I seam to buy more than I need but I am loving this quilting.

Re: only been quilting for a year and made this.

That's so pretty. Must haves..there are so many as time goes on I think. Rotary cutter, cutting mat, seam ripper (this will be your best friend). I'm sure people will think of more. Now my must have is a longarm. . All that extra fabric is going to become your stash and soon you can join stash-aholics with the rest of us..
    Patrice

Comment

That is really pretty! I pretty much agree with Patrice, you will add things as you go along, but start with the basics. And just remember there is no such thing as "too much fabric"!

Post a picture of your quilt when you are done!
      Donna

Comment

This design looks very pretty and you can do it! I've been quilting since 1992 and I am just starting applique. I like to challenge myself when I see something as pretty as you're going to attempt!
        Leftover fabric? You save as much as you can for the scrappy projects (I adore scrappy!!!!). And small pieces work great for baby quilts, table runners/toppers...you name it! And you can also cut them into pre-cuts for future projects. Just save it in a clear plastic tub and you'll be amazed how quickly it accumulates!
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

What a pretty quilt, the blues are lovely. Patrice is right about the list of 'must haves'. My must haves have morphed, and these days I need more shelving/bins for my fabric. A long arm would be wonderful, but don't think that will happen - and I'm not sure where I'd be able to squeeze one in. I don't think DH would appreciate it in the living or dining room

Comment

I think good rulers and some acrylic templates are must haves to go along with the rotary cutter and mat. A 1/4" foot for your sewing machine is also a great help.
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Thank's lady's I have a wonderful sawing machine that my two son's got me for my 60th I have a rotary cuter and a 16/10 cutting mat not very big, and a 18- 6 1/2 ruler, and I think I'm a stash-aholic as when I buy fabric for quilts I get extra well you never know with me being new to quilting I may mess up (well that's my excuse) I will get photos taken for you to show my other, I think I have posted them before I will look.

Comment

I can't wait to see your quilt.

As for supplies:
                Of course a sewing machine.
                Quarter inch piecing foot (maybe two, one with guide, one without is helpful)
                Seam ripper, preferably not the cheapest one you can find as you'll be using it a lot.
                Dedicated sewing scissors.
                Rotary cutter, mat, ruler(s), extra blades.
                Extra needles for the machine as they should be changed pretty often.
                Extra thread so you don't run out.
                Beer. I like to drink it while I quilt.
                Marking pens- washable, heat disappearing, chalk, or otherwise.
                Pins and a pin cushion.

If you'll be doing the quilting a walking foot for your machine can be really helpful too.
                Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Well that is truly beautiful! Using a similar concept to the quilt, I would make placemats. An easy way to make placemats is to follow the tutorial for the "Self Binding Baby Blanket". I would cut the insides 15" and the outsides 25". That will give you a 4 1/5" frame around a 14 1/2" center picture to show off your beautiful focus fabric. PM me with questions. But I'm sure there are many many other ways to make placemats and many many other ways to use up your stash - other than just gazing at it from time to time - my fav way. LOL.

Comment

That's a pretty quilt. Love the panel. Sorry, I can't advise you on the fabric. I just bought about 20 yards of fabric today and I already have a room full at home. Sounds like you've been bitten and I don't think there's an antidote.

Comment

Working...
                    X