Very First String Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very First String Blocks

Afternoon! I've admired scrappy string quilts for a long time but never tried my hand at one. I saved my strings, though - anything less than 2" went into a separate bin for "someday". My mom recently found an old phonebook when she was tidying my Nanna's house and brought it home after remembering that I was looking for one.

I whipped all of these blocks out last Sunday. When I next feel inspired to work on it, I think I'm going to add a large inner border, another border of additional string blocks, and then one more outer border. I'm looking forward to watching it grow! There are plenty more strings where these came from. The blocks are all 7" finished because that's the size the pages trimmed most easily.

(There are a lot of Celtic Solstice scraps in here too!)

Re: Very First String Blocks

Those are wonderful! What a great idea for using your scraps... I can't wait to see it finished!

Comment

Awesome, I too am saving scraps for this. Looks great. Lynn

Comment

So bright and cheery - I love it!

Comment

I can't wait to do one of these - I love to look at all the different fabrics. You did a great job! The white in the center position really sets the whole block off.
          Donna

Comment

It's beautiful! On my list too.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Love it, bright cheerful colors!
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I love this...on my to do list. Yours looks great.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

Definitely on my list! Did you cut the phone book pages to a particular size? This is something I've always wanted to do, because I love the look... I have a bin gull of scraps that might work... You have inspired me to do a string block or two... Maybe a whole quilt!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                    Definitely on my list! Did you cut the phone book pages to a particular size? This is something I've always wanted to do, because I love the look... I have a bin gull of scraps that might work... You have inspired me to do a string block or two... Maybe a whole quilt!
                    I found the largest square that I could consistently cut out of my pages was 7.5" - a little odd-sized when compared to traditional quilt blocks, but it doesn't really matter if they're all that size.

You'll have a lot of fun with them! The string blocks are so forgiving of imperfection and imprecision. I used these blocks as an opportunity to learn treadling. Let's just say that a lot of those lines only bear a passing resemblance to 'straight'.

Comment

That's the beauty of string quilts, if seams aren't straight it looks like you intended it that way lol
                      I really like yours!! It's fun to remember the quilts that these left overs came from too..
                      Great job
                      May the road rise up to meet you...
                      May the wind be always at your back...
                      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

A great way to use up the phone book. I bought M*QC pkg. of foundation papers, which are 10". Unlike Jenny, I don't trim based on the edges of the paper; I measure the 10" square with my ruler so the blocks all are the same size. Mostly I've been using up 2.5" wide strips left over from quilt bindings. JCY

Comment

They look great - I really want to try some of these!
                          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Really love this. So colorful.
                            SandyWhite
                            Ocala, Florida
                            http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X