Butterflies in the Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterflies in the Garden

Last year I joined the Butterflies in the Garden block swap. When I got all the gorgeous blocks back from everyone, I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. About mid-December, I found the PERFECT marbled blue fabric and suddenly knew what I wanted to do. And, more importantly, who it was for! It went together very quickly. Due to some sewing machine issues, I wasn't able to get it quite finished in time for the gift exchange day, but that was ok. I gave it to my niece, Emi. I've known her from before she was born, and have the privilege of being her "Other Mama". She is a gorgeous young woman, will be 16 this summer, and has young men tripping over themselves to get close to her. She has a glow about her that even complete strangers gravitate to. Everyone loves her. I have been honored to be involved in her life from the beginning, and watching her grow and develop into this amazing young woman has definitely been one of the best things in my life. She continues to grow and change and evolve, like a caterpillar becoming a butterfly.

I knew I wanted to quilt around each butterfly, but didn't want the back to have a thousand different colors, so I used blue in the bobbin and matched the thread to the bakground for each butterfly. This was kind of fun, because I opened up this giant ziplock bag of thread that had been my grandmother's. Some of the spools are wood and cost 5 cents! I had every color I needed, except olive green.

2014-01-06 23.17.40.jpg
    Completed Quilt, spread out on my sewing table

2014-01-06 23.17.53.jpg
    topstitching on an orange butterfly

2014-01-06 23.18.02.jpg
    Topstitching on a green butterfly

2014-01-06 23.18.14.jpg
    The back
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Re: Butterflies in the Garden

This is really pretty! Oh to have some of my grandmother's thread would be wonderful, you're very lucky to have this treasure.
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

very pretty
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Great quilt. I was part of this swap but haven't done anything with them yet. Was thinking of doing an attic window pattern.
        Wendy
        http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

Great job. Love your lattice color.
          sigpicAnita G.

Comment

What a beautiful quilt and a beautiful story behind it

Comment

I like the way you've put your blocks together. I had my butterflies out the other day and still don't have clue how I'm going to put the quilt together. I will keep the quilt since it was my first block swap
              Shirley aka buckeyequilter
              I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Georgeous!
                How funny, I just had mine out today!
                Have the top pieced but still needs quilted!
                One of my many UFO's!
                Happy Quilting!

Comment

Very nice. I'm not familiar with that pattern but I'll have to look it up and add it to the "to be made" list. Yours is beautiful.
                  Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Very cute. Your niece will treasure it for sure.
                    Karen
                    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Beautiful - I am sure she will love it! I have some of my Grandmothers thread as well. Been a little leary of using it as I know it is very old and afraid it wouldn't hold up - so glad to hear someone else has used older thread without issues. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I have found the quilt I want to make for my daughter. Your quilt is beautiful!
                        ~ Tracy

Comment

Working...
                        X