Bento Box Baby Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bento Box Baby Quilt

I'll start by posting a link to the tutorial for this block because I always forget to do that and people ask for it later.

Sewing & Quilt Gallery: Strip-Pieced Bento Box Quilt Pattern

What you see in these pictures is only a couple hours of work because we started with a cheap jelly roll we bought on clearance at Joann's on a whim and added some strips of Kona White cut from yardage. The cutting on the JR strips was far from perfect but they were worth the $4 we spent for 20 strips of fabric.

This will be a baby quilt for a childhood friend who is expecting in July. We haven't decided about additional borders or just binding it as-is (well, once the 9 blocks are put together)

We started with some strips in a rainbow of colors:

Making some progress. We decided to use 2 red, 2 orange, 2 yellow, 1 blue, 1 green, and 1 purple.

The finished blocks (waiting to be squared) laid out on the design floor.

And we will bat it with warm-n-white and back it with this fun child-friendly flannel print:

Finally, here is a picture of what the Quilt Police are going to do to me for making an entire quilt using basic solids without any patterns or textures.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Re: Bento Box Baby Quilt

Ryan, it is wonderful and remember - there are NO Quilt police on this forum!!!

Real quilts made by real quilters can be ANYTHING that the quilter wants to do - NO rules!! How do you think new patterns and new styles develop?

Love, love, love this project, as will the recipients!
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Love your use of colors and really like the backing fabric. You are a very talented man Mr. HandsomeRyan.
      Ann

Comment

"I'll start by posting a link to the tutorial for this block because I always forget to do that and people ask for it later." - HandsomeRyan

Just who do you mean by "people?" I take that personally!

Thanks for the link.
        Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I love bright colors and solids, looks great!
          April

Comment

I love this; and thanks for the link; so thoughtful of you. You do know us all so well! I sincerely hope there are no quilt police around or I would constantly be in jail. The recipients of this quilt will LOVE it!
            :icon_wave: Linda
            "Home is where they love you"

Comment

This is really nice! I like the balance of the colors & the backing is adorable.
              May the road rise up to meet you...
              May the wind be always at your back...
              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

This is so darling! What a great use for a $4.00 jelly roll! Thanks for the link
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think it is perfect use of the jelly roll and what a bargain. Many imperfect fabrics can be utilized if you work with them. I like the bright colors and it will be perfect for a baby quilt . I love the baking you chose. nice job!
                  sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                  Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                  Sigmund Freud

Comment

Solids is perfectly suitable for any quilt IMHO. What law says it has to be print? It's part of artistic expression. It's going to be beautiful.
                    Hugs,
                    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I really love this! And the wild child print on the back is the perfect foil for the solids on the front! Way to go, Ryan!

Comment

Are you kidding? I love it. No quilt police here. It is a wonderful way to use primary colors in a baby quilt. Not only will it be an adorable quilt, it can also be used as a learning tool later.
                        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                        sigpic

Comment

That looks perfectly fine to me. Nothing wrong at all with using solids and your backing fabric is just perfect.
                          K is for Karen 😊​..................
                          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                          T - is it TRUE?
                          H - is it HELPFUL?
                          I - is it INSPIRING?
                          N - is it NECESSARY?
                          K - is it KIND?

Comment

The bold, solids, plus that bright white, makes a striking quilt.... I love it.

Quilt Police? Although there are quilters who do want everyone to follow all the rules... So boring..... They have no power over the creative processes of anyone but themselves.... They are tigers in paper bags... No power.

Quilting is meant to be creative..... Like recipes, quilting instructions are only suggestions for many of us... A source of inspiration, if you will. The fun lies in making the quilt your own.... Change it up! Have fun....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                              Solids is perfectly suitable for any quilt IMHO. What law says it has to be print? It's part of artistic expression. It's going to be beautiful.
                              That is supposed to say Solids ARE perfectly suitable.
                              Hugs,
                              Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                              Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Working...
                              X