Five and Dime with Palm Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five and Dime with Palm Court

This is my second quilt but first time doing the Five and Dime, I got the Palm Court layer cake, charm pack and the ruler. I went to Joanns this morning and got the Fons & Porter design wall, I love it! anywho, here is my layout,hoping all of you can tell me what you would do for border,backing and binding, I really need some feedback please & thanks!!! Christina
    DSCF3266.jpg

Re: Five and Dime with Palm Court

This is very pretty. I'd do a narrow border of fabric that goes with the blue in the quilt. Maybe a wider border of something in the brown family.
    Good job!
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Great looking quilt

Comment

Beautiful!!!
        ~Kathy~

Comment

Love that fabric collection!
          If you have not yet sewn the blocks together, I would recommend to sash it with strips of black or dk brown between the blocks to really make your blocks stand out and give them some pop! Since that would make it bigger, you could arrange your rows 3 x 5 big blocks rather than 4x4.
          you have an absolutely fab quilt, my dear!
          Happy Quilting!

Comment

Really nice looking quilt.
            ~ Tracy

Comment

Great job I like the colors. I also think the sashing idea sounds wonderful. Now that you have the design wall try laying a couple black strips between some blocks and see if you like it. I'd go with one of the blues for the border.
              sigpicAnita G.

Comment

ah! Another new quilter I love your quilt!

Good for you for getting a design wall....I'm still laying my out on the hardwood floor and my cats love to mess it all up. Must make the investment and get myself one.

I like the other ladies suggestions, but I also think just putting a nice border and binding in a coordinating fabric would be pretty too.

Thanks for sharing!
                My pottery blog
                http://dirtygirlpottery.wordpress.com/

My pottery shop
                http://dirtygirlpottery.bigcartel.com/

Comment

Great job on this! I like your design wall as well...

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback! I like the idea of the sashing too. I still have to sew the five inch block together yet so when I get that done I will try putting strips between them and see how that will look!

Comment

Thought I would give an update on my Five and Dime quilt I am working on, I took the advice from some of you and decided on sashing in dark brown, so far I love it! I am going to do a 5" border in teal with the dark brown as the binding! I just love this fabric pattern!
                      DSCF3271.jpg

Comment

That turned out beautiful. From a distance it looks like a D9P. I bought this layercake but haven't done anything with it yet.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Stunning!! Great job!!
                          Happy Quilting!

Comment

DSCF3275.jpgDSCF3276.jpg

I just finished my 2nd quilt, this time I used some of my decorative stitching, also did some stippling, I really learned a lot of do's and don'ts with this one, one is to do the decorative stitching on the top first as it does not feed well on the thicker material either that or I was doing it wrong. my stippling is in the early stages so I am not sure it really looks good. but hey you got to start somewhere right? Maybe some of you can tell me what is the best thread to use, I bought some thread at Joanns that was one of the large rolls of thread but I am not impressed with it at all, it did break at times and it did some fraying, it is however a polyester/cotton mix, so let me know what you all use.. thanks for looking and commenting...

Comment

I would use a narrow off white border followed by a larger brown border. Love the colors in this layer cake. It has been sitting in my cart for the last two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X