Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Quilt...Finally, it's done!

Lucas.jpg

It is based on a pattern listed in Moda Bake Shop, although no precuts were used.

It has been the quilt from h*** to finish. Whoever posted the link on using an eyebrow shaper to rip out seams has my sincere blessing...I would never have finished the quilt without it. Think I ripped out more than I sewed :-<.

The squares were pretty easy, but I had trouble getting the sashing to line up. Never really had done sashing before and there must be a trick I am missing. Then I had issues with the binding and had to rip it all off and start over.

I really need to practice my applique...lots here could have been better. I needed to have it done by THIS afternoon, so I just did stitch near the ditch and did an inside outline on the letters.

When you want to do something fast, why is it always a pain in the neck??

Best thing I can say is that it is done. The owl material is the backing. The lighting is not the best: what looks yellow is actually lime green (lots of lime in the little owls.)
    Last edited by Lightwriter; January 19, 2014, 11:31 AM.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Re: Baby Quilt...Finally, it's done!

It's very cute. Yes getting that sashing to match is a bear. I read a great tip on how to match it up, but as usual- I can't remember where I read it nor can I remember exactly what it said . What can I say - I'm old!!!
    Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Its very cute!! nice job!
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Sorry it was a pain to finish but, it looks great. Nice and cheerful.
        sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Here's a link with some tips on lining up your sashing. Once you get the idea, you can skip all the measuring with a ruler by attaching the sash, folding over the 1st row block and marking it onto the long sash. Then attach your second row by lining up the marks and pinning those seams. I also found that basting just the intersections will allow you to see if everything is lined up. If not, it's easy to rip out a few stitches and move the column. Once it's all lined up, just stitch the whole thing from one end to the other. It works every time!

Sew Easy Lesson: Sashing Alginment - YouTube

Your quilt is lovely and you did a wonderful job.

Comment

Very cute quilt. I find the same thing, if you want to finish something quickly that is when you have problems.
            ​Robyn

Comment

Despite your struggles with it, your quilt turned out beautiful! I really struggled with appliques as well on my DGS baby quilt...

Comment

Your quilt is really cute!! you know that old saying, "the hurrier I go the behinder I get". It's the law don't ya know. LOL
                Dena
                I took up Quilting and gave up cooking!
                Dena

Comment

Congratulations on finishing a difficult quilt.... It looks great.

I think Jenny addresses the sashing problem in her 9 patch windowpane tutorial.... And, I think one other. It's tricky, for sure...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I think you did a fantastic job.

Comment

It looks great! Adorable for a little boy.

The owner of a LQS told me a secret about sashing. Just sash the block, don't sash across the quilt.

For example. First block, top row, starting on the left. Sashing around entire block. Block two on the first row would have sashing on the top, right side, and bottom, etc for the rest of the row.
                      Second and all following rows: First block, sashing on left of block, bottom of block and right side of block. Rest of blocks in row will have sashing on the bottom and right side only.

Once you quilt it you won't noticed the seams. Make sure not to use fabric that has lines or anything else that will look weird with seams. Best choice is tone on tone, busy tiny print or just a solid.

Another way is to use cornerstones.
                      Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
                        Here's a link with some tips on lining up your sashing. Once you get the idea, you can skip all the measuring with a ruler by attaching the sash, folding over the 1st row block and marking it onto the long sash. Then attach your second row by lining up the marks and pinning those seams. I also found that basting just the intersections will allow you to see if everything is lined up. If not, it's easy to rip out a few stitches and move the column. Once it's all lined up, just stitch the whole thing from one end to the other. It works every time!

Sew Easy Lesson: Sashing Alginment - YouTube

Your quilt is lovely and you did a wonderful job.
                        Sharon - great video - never seen that one before!
                        Vonnie

Comment

Beautiful quilt. I am sure it will be treasured.
                          sigpic Christine.

Comment

This is adorable - LOVE the owl fabric!

Comment

Well with all that "angst" this quilt caused, you absolutely nailed it! That is a great quilt. Nice job.

Comment

Working...
                              X