Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's here...Kc Star 2014 Project! For Those who served.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's here...Kc Star 2014 Project! For Those who served.....

House + Home

The Star’s 2014 Quilt Project, Block 1: For those who served

For those Who Served Block 1.jpg

January 17

The Kansas City Star

It’s a new year and a new Kansas City Star quilt.
    The Star’s 2014 Quilt Project, Block 1: For those who served
    First installment of our 2014 block-of-the-month project, “Where Poppies Grow … Remembering Almo,” honoring those who served in World War I.

The Great War started in July 1914, a century ago. Kansas City, as home to the National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial, has a unique connection to that global conflict. The memorial opened in 1926.

This year’s quilt was designed by Denniele O’Kell Bohannon of Louanna Mary Quilt Design, Harrisonville, and Janice Britz of Bee Merry Farms, Peculiar, as a tribute to Bohannon’s great-grandfather Almo Ebenezer O’Kell. Angela Walters of Quilting Is My Therapy in Kearney did the free-motion quilting.

Almo O’Kell, 30, died Jan. 12, 1919, while serving his country in Koblenz, Germany.

O’Kell’s correspondence and photos have been preserved by his family and provide a rich history of Almo’s duty as a medic with Field Hospital No. 3 and the First Division under Gen. John J. Pershing, a Missouri native.

Each month, along with a new quilt block, we’ll share a piece of Almo’s story. Look for an installment on the third Sunday of each month in the H+H section.

Today, Block 1: “Father’s Choice.”

Almo O’Kell married Pearl Townsend in 1907. Their son, given his mother’s maiden name, was born in 1909 in Quincy, Ill., Almo’s hometown. Pearl and baby Townsend often traveled to her mother’s home in Hamilton, Mo., visits long enough to merit Almo writing to his infant son there:

Dear Son, This is your first card, with love from your papa.

Almo often was unhappy about his wife’s absence, as one of his letters attests:

Now Pearl I think you had better hurry up and come home as I can’t stand it any longer. I tell you it is fierce to keep away that long. Kiss the dear baby for me.

Before he sailed for military duty in France, Almo was sent to Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., a war induction and processing center. In November 1917, he wrote to 8-year-old Townsend:

Papa wants you to be a good boy and mind your mama. She will tell you all about me some day. Now baby, Papa thinks of you all the time and when this war is over, over there, (I) will come and see you.

Almo understood that many men would die in the war, and he might be among the casualties:

But Baby, remember your father lost his life in the fight for freedom for you because it would mean (America would) come under the rule of Germany. Of course it can’t last long but (there) will be lots of us that won’t come back. But if I do, I want to come and see you.

So you be a good boy and Papa will be happy for you. Now Townsend go to school every day and study hard while papa is over in Germany fighting. I am sending you the last picture I had taken so you can keep it and remember daddy as long as you live.

SUPPLY LIST FOR THE QUILT

Quilt size: 72 inches by 83 inches

Fabric requirements

2/3 yard assorted reds

2/3 yard assorted blues

1/2 yard brown*

7 inches by 9 inches gold

3/4 yard green

3 1/2 yards background fabric

For the borders

2 1/4 yards red

2 1/2 yards background fabric

10 1/2 inches by 22 inches blue

20 inches fusible web

Other supplies

1 yard fusible web

*From the brown fabric, using your favorite method, make 372 inches of 1/4-inch finished bias tape. Cut into 31-inch increments. Set aside.

BLOCK 1, “FATHER’S CHOICE”

Block size: 14 inches finished

Supply list

7 1/2 inches by 10 inches red

8 inches by 11 inches blue

16 inches by 22 inches background fabric

10 inches by 8 inches green

12 inches by 8 inches fusible web

31 inches of 1/4-inch finished bias tape in brown

2 inches square gold

Black embroidery thread (optional)

Cutting directions

From the red fabric, cut:

4 (3-inch) squares (B)

1 (2 1/2-inch) square (D)

From the blue fabric, cut:

4 (2 1/4-inch) squares (A)

4 (2 1/2-inch by 2 1/4-inch) rectangles (C)

1 (2 1/2-inch) square. Apply fusible to the square and cut 1 circle using Template 2.

From the background fabric, cut:

4 (2 1/4-inch) squares (A)

4 (3-inch) squares (B)

4 (2 1/2-inch by 2 1/4-inch) rectangles (C)

2 (3 1/2-inch by 9 1/2-inch) rectangles

2 (3 1/2-inch by 15 1/2-inch) rectangles

From the green fabric, apply fusible and cut 34 leaves using Template 3.

From the gold fabric, apply fusible and cut 1 star using Template 1.

Construction directions

Sew a blue A square to either side of a background C rectangle as shown. Make two rows like this. See Fig. 1.

Make another row by sewing a background C rectangle to either side of the red D square. Make one row. See Fig. 2.

Sew the three rows together to make a 9-patch block. See Fig. 3.

Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the reverse side of 4 background B squares. Place a background B square atop a red B square with right sides facing; stitch 1/4 inch on both sides of the drawn line. Cut apart on the line. Press toward the red. Trim down to a 2 1/4-inch square. Make eight half-square triangle units. See Fig. 4, Fig. 5 and Fig. 6.

Sew a half-square triangle unit to either side of a blue C rectangle. Make four. See Fig. 7.

Stitch a row to either side of the center 9-patch as shown. See Fig. 8.

Add a background A square to either end of the 2 remaining rows and stitch one to the top and one to the bottom of the block. See Fig. 9 and Fig. 10.

Sew a 3 1/2-inch by 9 1/2-inch background rectangle to the top and bottom of the center block. See Fig. 11.

Add a 3 1/2-inch by 15 1/2-inch background rectangle to the left and right sides. The block will be trimmed to 14 1/2 inches after the appliqué is complete. See Fig. 12.

APPLIQUÉ ON EACH BLOCK

This appliqué will be used on every block, so be sure to save these instructions and templates.

Refer to the placement guide and mark the position of the bias stem. Stitch the stem in place. Center the blue circle on the stem, fuse and stitch in place. Place the gold star on the blue circle so the two arms lay just above the stem and the top arm is centered on the circle. Fuse and stitch in place. Refer to the placement guide and position the leaves on the stem as you please, fuse and stitch in place. Backstitch “U.S.” on the gold star, if desired. Trim the block to 14 1/2 inches.

DOWNLOADING THIS BLOCK ONLINE

This block will be available as a free download for one week at the online home of Kansas City Star Quilts (PickleDish.com). After that, the pattern will be available as a download for $3.95 at Kansas City Star Quilts Store (PickleDishstore.com).

Read more here: The Star’s 2014 Quilt Project, Block 1: For those who served - KansasCity.com
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Re: It's here...Kc Star 2014 Project! For Those who served.....

Thanks for the post, I think I will follow along.

For those who want to print the pdf for themselves to keep in their quilting library, use this url for the web site

PickleDish | Home of Kansas City Star QUILTS

and this URL for the actual .pdf. This link will open the pdf without going to the website

http://www.pickledish.com/wp-content...lock_WPG-5.pdf

Also if you follow them on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KCStarQuilts You will get the updates on when the next block is posted.
    Last edited by Fabriclovr; January 19, 2014, 10:36 AM.
    Just One More Yard - Blog
    Just One More Yard - Craftsy

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!

Comment

Thanks for that . I went to the site and downloaded the PDF and printed it. Are you going to make this. Hope I can remember each month to go and print the new PDF. If you are going to follow this would you post each month a reminder? I do not have a facebook account.
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by Doloris View Post
        Thanks for that . I went to the site and downloaded the PDF and printed it. Are you going to make this. Hope I can remember each month to go and print the new PDF. If you are going to follow this would you post each month a reminder? I do not have a facebook account.
        Doloris...I hope to make it someday...I have a lot of UFOs to catch up first! I have been collecting the KC Star Quilt projects for the past 5 years. They come out the third Sunday of each month! I will try to remember to put a reminder on the forum!
        Sherri

Comment

Originally posted by Doloris View Post

I do have a facebook account, and I will post the updates
          Just One More Yard - Blog
          Just One More Yard - Craftsy

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!

Comment

this is one I really want to make, made a couple of quilts of valor and loved working on them. Maybe if I do the block every month I will make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabriclovr View Post
              I do have a facebook account, and I will post the updates
              Thanks. I will write 3rd Sunday of the month somewhere so I can remember and then I will see it and wonder "HUH" LOL.
              Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by ldnanny3 View Post
                this is one I really want to make, made a couple of quilts of valor and loved working on them. Maybe if I do the block every month I will make it.
                Great idea!!!! Where is the Ouachita Mtns, Ar at? It's very possible our family is relocating to Arkansas in the next 6 months!
                Sherri

Comment

Love this one! I'm hoping to follow along on this one. I'm not taking any classes this semester, so hopefully I can get back into my quilting room and do some quilting!
                  LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Thank you for the post.

Comment

Great idea!! great way to honour those who have served
                      HUGS,
                      Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

Alright, Quilting friends....my first attempt at this project...and still attempting applique. BE gentle, but be honest...there are a couple of mistakes!!!! Should we call this my "practice block" or is it OK to implement into the quilt and hope my next block is better. By the way, February's block comes out February 16th!
                        IMAG0419.jpg
                        Sherri

Comment

Looks great to me!
                          K is for Karen 😊​..................
                          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                          T - is it TRUE?
                          H - is it HELPFUL?
                          I - is it INSPIRING?
                          N - is it NECESSARY?
                          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                            Looks great to me!
                            Sweet Karen...you're too nice to me! But...Thank you!
                            Sherri

Comment

I'm so excited.....when I lived in Shawnee Ks for 8 years I loved making the quilts from the Kansas City star... As a matter of fact I have all the patters in a file. Also have one of the quilts I made hanging on the wall in my living room here in Port Charlotte Florida. I sure miss KC!! And my friends at Praire Point quilt shop. I will be following along and making this quilt for sure......Patti

Comment

Working...
                              X