Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Hourglass Part II: Electric Boogaloo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Hourglass Part II: Electric Boogaloo.

So this is an extension of my previous thread about making a double hourglass quilt. I figure no one goes back to read new posts on the third or fourth page of an old thread so I'd start a new one for this step.

The first batch of blocks is done and they are amazing! I am so happy with how they came out. We squared them to 7.5" although they probably could have been squared to 7.75" if one were careful.

Here are the triangles cut from the strip sets waiting to be chain pieced.

I just kind of tossed the blocks onto my "design floor" (I don't have a design wall yet) and tried to make sure no two colors were touching. The final layout will probably be pretty similar to this though.

And finally, this shot was an attempt to get in close and show off some of the texture that the "Fusion Textures" jellyroll brings to the party. The colors are so vivid and the contrast is so high that they just pop.

Now they just need to be sewn together and some border or borders need to be added. I'm just going to SITD quilt it with my fancy new SITD walking foot foot.

My overall impressions of this pattern so far is that it is a winner. The sewing goes really fast because you just sew strips then everything can be chain pieced. As long as you are consistent with the direction you press the seams they nest beautifully without having to be re-pressed the other direction. There is a slight learning curve on cutting the 45° angle but once you get it you can go quickly and you really don't need any special ruler to do it. The only "hard part" is that all of the sewing of the triangles is done on the bias so there is increased chances for things to go wonky vs. straight grain sewing. Everyone who has mentioned this pattern as "on your list" I recommend bumping it to the top because this one is a fun and easy thing to get checked off your list barely a couple weeks into the new year. Good to start the year with a win!
    Loosely based on a true story.

Re: Double Hourglass Part II: Electric Boogaloo.

That's a great looking quilt! Have you decided if you are really going to part with it?
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Wowzers, that's great looking!

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
        That's a great looking quilt! Have you decided if you are really going to part with it?
        As much as I want to keep it I think I am going to give it away. Either to my brother and his wife (or more specifically their baby) or a childhood friend of mine who is pregnant. The other quilt I have planned is a Carpenter's Star. I guess I could make them both then decide who gets which. I also might do the C.Star in more gender specific colors (once we know gender). This quilt is perfectly gender neutral so I guess if either couple decides not to find out the gender this one will be theirs.
        Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

I have this jelly roll. May just have to do it
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Looks good. How do you get so much done so fast? I guess I'm just a slow poke. I like it.
            Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

Love love love this! I have a swirl jelly roll that I have been trying to decide what I want to do with it and this just may be it!
              Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

This is so pretty! I LOVE it and cannot wait to see it finished!
                sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

It sure is a winner...great job, Ryan.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I really like the graphics in this. I wonder what it would look like with my polka dot stash?
                    My friends call me Peggy
                    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

That's a beauty!
                      *~* Myrna *~*
                      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

that is beautiful. piling up projects for my new machine. Gotta finish the tshirt quilt I'm getting paid to do first
                        Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

That's gorgeous. It's great for a baby, bright and happy colors.

Comment

Great job, Ryan! Love the bright, vibrant colors against the white.

Comment

Your quilt is absolutely stunning - great work!! Whoever gets this quilt is very lucky.
                              Dawn
                              A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Comment

Working...
                              X